Celtic and St Mirren share two points after late McGregor equaliser

Celtic were playing in front of their own fans for the first time since clinching the league title.

Late McGregor goal helps Celtic avoid second shock defeat to St Mirren SNS Group

A late Callum McGregor equaliser helped Celtic avoid their second consecutive Premiership loss as they shared the points with St Mirren in Glasgow.

Curtis Main struck twice, and should have had more, as the champions came close to suffering what would have been their first league defeat at Celtic Park under Ange Postecoglou.

The Paisley side will feel like they should have taken all three points for the second time against Celtic this season after going 1-0 and 2-1 up.

But the Hoops skipper grabbed the fourth goal of the game to secure 2-2 draw in what was an otherwise lacklustre performance from the home side on Saturday.

Postecoglou returned to near his strongest line-up with Kyogo, Daizen Maeda and Greg Taylor all starting in their first game back at Celtic Park since clinching the league title at Tynecastle two weeks ago.

Main gave the home side a shock lead after just four minutes when he seized on an Anthony Ralston error and slotted it past Joe Hart to make it 1-0.

But the Hoops were back on level terms ten minutes later when Kyogo produced a typically clinical finish for his 31st goal of the season.

The PFA Player of the Year returned to the starting line-up after being replaced by Hyeongyu Oh for last week’s defeat at Ibrox and he smashed the ball into the rood of Trevor Carson’s net to make 1-1.

Ryan Strain had a great chance to put the Saints back in front when he fired a shot wide from inside the box.

But Stephen Robinson’s men didn’t have to wait long for their next chance and Main scored his second of the match to make it 2-1.

They took their lead into the second half and they nearly increased it within five minutes of the re-start when Main came close to sealing a hat-trick with a headed effort.

Celtic huffed and puffed as they tried to get back into the game but were unable to create too many chances after a stubborn St Mirren backline.

Postecoglou rang the changes with just under 20 minutes left on the clock and sent on Haskabanovic, Abada and Oh in attempt to get the equaliser.

But it was Saints who came closest again when Main broke through the defence and struck the post as he looked to secure the match ball.

Oh came close minutes later but his effort was well saved by Carson.

Celtic finally drew level with ten minutes left on the clock when captain Callum McGregor stepped up to make it 2-2 and rescue their unbeaten home record in the league under Postecoglou.

The Hoops have now only won one of their last four league games following a draw with Motherwell and defeat to Rangers last week.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in