Late heartache for Scotland as Euros dream dies in defeat to Hungary

Scotland had to avoid defeat in Stuttgart to prolong their stay in Germany.

Key Points
  • Scotland are out of the Euros after losing their last crucial match of Group A
  • A late winner by Hungary’s Kevin Csoboth in the 99th minute sealed a 1-0 win

Scotland have suffered late heartache against Hungary after an injury-time goal brings an end to their Euro 2024 campaign.

A late winner by Kevin Csoboth in the 99th minute sealed a 1-0 win in the final group game of the tournament in Germany.

Steve Clarke, his players and the Tartan Army will now be on the first flight home.

Scotland had most of the very early possession but it was Hungary who had the first sight of goal with a long range effort that Angus Gunn struggled to hold but managed to palm it away from danger.

Dejected fans of Scotland after victory is snatched in the 99th minute by Hungary.

Steve Clarke’s men had over 80% of the ball in the first 20 minutes but failed to trouble the Hungarian backline to any great deal.

But Hungary started to grow into the game and had a couple of efforts from distance around the half-hour mark.

Watch: Scotland fans react after last-minute heartbreak againt Hungary

A pretty uneventful first-half came to an end with the scores still level and Scotland failing to register a single shot at goal.

Hungary started the second-half on the front-foot and forced a corner before Gunn was called in to action to make an easy save.

Kevin Csoboth of Hungary celebrates scoring his team's first goal in extra time.Getty Images

Scott McTominay was then shown a yellow card for a late challenge meaning he will miss the next game for the national team.

Scotland then had their first shot at goal on the 50th minute mark but the long distance effort from Che Adams sailed well over the bar.

Hungary then had a sight of goal after a quick counter attack but the eventual shot deflected off Jack Hendry for a corner that led to nothing.

John McGinn then had a bursting run down the right hand side before finding himself in the box but his cut back to McTominay was cut out and the danger was cleared.

John McGinn of Scotland in action against Andras Schafer of Hungary.Getty Images

Marton Dardai found himself unmarked in the box on the hour-mark but his header was too high and flew over the bar.

The game was then delayed for a lengthy period as Barnabas Varga was treated by medical staff on the pitch after a nasty collision in the Scotland box.

Clarke then made Scotland’s first changes of the game when he replaced McGinn and Adams with Lawrence Shankland and Stuart Armstrong as they looked to impose themselves in the last 15 minutes of regulation time.

Armstrong was involved right away with a bursting run into the box but a penalty claim was waved away by the ref despite there looking as if there had been definite contact.

Hungary pushed for a winner that would have saved their campaign and Angus Gunn was forced into a flurry of good saves before Scotland had the post to thank for keeping the ball out of the net in injury time as Clarke’s side hung on to the draw by the skin of their teeth.

Scotland then pushed up the other end and had some chances of their own but it was Hungary that produced a late sucker punch in the ninth minute of injury time to win the game and take all three points.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code