Celtic end Buckie cup dreams with victory in David vs Goliath clash

The cup holders secured their place in the fifth-round draw with a routine win in Glasgow.

Celtic have eased their way into the Scottish Cup fifth-round draw with a comfortable 5-0 victory over Buckie Thistle in Parkhead.

Paulo Bernardo kept up his recent run of good form as he continued where he finished before the winter-break to grab the opening goal in a very much one-sided game.

Odin Holm doubled the lead in the first-half before Kyogo Furuhashi added a third as the Hoops blew their opponents away in a windy and rainy day in Glasgow.

Brendan Rodgers’s side actually had the ball in the net six times in the opening first 45 minutes, but three were ruled for offside.

Luis Palma added a fourth early in the second-half before the Hoops then had a fourth goal ruled out for offside when Abada strayed beyond the last defender.

Republic of Ireland under-21 winger Rocco Vata then made it five after coming off the bench late in the game.

It was a real David vs Goliath tie in the east-end of the city as the Highland league side came up against the Scottish champions and 41-time cup winners.

As expected the home-side dominated the early possession and they had a penalty claim after just two minutes.

Liel Abada looked to be fouled in the box but after being called to the VAR monitor the referee found an offside in the build up.

Greg Taylor then had the ball in the net soon after but again they were thwarted by an offside call.

However they didn’t have to wait much longer for the inevitable opening goal that came from on loan Benfica midfielder Bernardo produced a fine finish to make it 1-0 with 25 minutes gone.

Kyogo was next to have the ball in the net but again the offside flag was raised to keep Buckie Thistle only one goal behind.

The one-way traffic continued and Celtic’s lead was doubled when summer signing Norwegian Holm finished off a good move for his goal in Scotland to make it 2-0.

Josh Peters came close to a famous goal for the underdogs but he was denied by a good save from former England international Joe Hart.

And Celtic went straight up the park to put the game to bed before half-time when Kyogo turned an Abada cross into the net to make it 3-0.

The offside flag was up yet again after Bernardo put the ball in the net just before the end of the first-half.

Celtic refused to take their foot of the gas in the second-half and added a second soon after the restart when Palma slotted past the keeper to make it 4-0.

Abada should have made it five just minutes later but his effort was just wide of the post.

The Israel winger then had the ball in the net but for the fourth time in the game the strike was ruled out for offside.

Vata then turned home his first of the season to make it 5-0 with around 15 minutes left on the clock.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in