Hearts and Kilmarnock play out goalless draw to remain undefeated

A game of few chances saw the teams settle for a point each.

Hearts and Kilmarnock play out goalless Premiership draw to remain undefeated SNS Group

Hearts and Kilmarnock fought out a goalless stalemate at Tynecastle to remain undefeated after two Premiership matches of the new season.

Boos from the home side greeted the final whistle after a 90 minutes of few clear goalmouth opportunities.

After a late surge from the Jambos, Kilmarnock looked content with a point at the end, despite looking more threatening in attack for most of the match.

Both teams won their opening-day fixture in the Scottish top flight, with Kilmarnock delivering the surprise of the first round of fixtures with a shock 1-0 victory over Rangers.

Manager Derek McInnes named the same team for this trip to Tynecastle.

Hearts, who got off the mark with a 2-0 win away to St Johnstone, were in action again on Thursday when they slipped to a 2-1 first-leg defeat to Rosenborg in the Europa Conference League third qualifying round.

The home side made three changes, with Alex Cochrane still serving a domestic suspension, Alan Forrest dropping to the bench and Beni Baningime out of the squad completely.

Stephen Kingsley and Peter Haring were drafted in and recent signing Kyosuke Tagawa was handed his first start following his recent arrival from Japan. New signing Kenneth Vargas was also named amongst the substitutes before making his bow midway through the second period.

Hearts opened with intent and Haring had a header saved by William Dennis only to see the offside flag deny them a corner.

At the other end, Lewis Mayo enjoyed Kilmarnock’s first attempt on target in the 15th minute but his header was comfortably gathered by goalkeeper Zander Clark.

Moments later, the visitors had the opportunity to spring a counter-attack but skipper Brad Lyons could not find the supporting run of Matty Kennedy and the chance was gone.

There was a moment of concern for Hearts in the 26th minute when Clark punched the ball following a corner only for it to hit a ruck of players inside the box before the the home defence scrambled it clear.

The game needed a spark and Haring almost provided it for Hearts in the 33rd minute but his 25-yard drive slipped wide of the target.

But it was Kilmarnock who finished the half stronger. Kennedy’s shot was touched past by Clark and the winger saw a free-kick deflected wide.

Defender Robbie Deas then headed a David Watson cross off-target before the Rugby Park side carved out their best chance of the half.

A Kyle Magennis header from Kennedy’s in-swinging cross from the right was destined for the bottom corner of the net but Clark got a strong right hand to it to prevent the Ayrshire men from taking a lead into the break.

Hearts continued to enjoy more possession in the second half but it was Kilmarnock who fashioned the better moments in attack.

Kennedy drew another save from Clark within seconds of the restart before Daniel Armstrong headed wide.

The visiting supporters were off their seats in the 65th minute as a powerful drive from defender Stuart Findlay arrowed inches wide.

Despite their European exertions in Norway, Hearts finished the stronger of the two teams.

But, although they piled the pressure on in the closing minutes, they could not break down a resolute Kilmarnock defence.

A Lawrence Shankland effort – following a cross from substitute Liam Boyce – dropped wide and Vargas curled a long-range effort too high as both teams had to settle for a point.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code