Glasgow Clan have announced that they will appoint a new general manager following the controversy regarding a decision to sign an alleged rapist.
The ice hockey club announced the signing of Finnish defenceman Lasse Uusivirta last week, only to later make a U-turn after a furious backlash from fans who had researched the player’s history.
Uusivirta was arrested and charged with first-degree rape in 2013 while a student at the University of Alabama in Hunstville, and though he left the country to return to Finland, US authorities said the charge would await him on his return.
After reversing the decision to sign Uusivirta, Clan suspended chief executive Gareth Chalmers and head coach Malcolm Cameron, pending an investigation.
The club have now apologised to anyone upset by the controversy, and revealed that Cameron is being reinstated as head coach. However, a general manager will now be appointed to replace Chalmers.
in a statement published on the club website, chairman Neil Black said: “I have now concluded my internal investigation into the events which led to the suspension of both Malcolm Cameron and Gareth Chalmers on Thursday 29 September
“As a result of my findings, the Glasgow Clan are with immediate effect making the following changes to the management and reporting structure of the on ice activities of the Clan
“Malcolm Cameron will return to his role as head coach, reporting to a newly appointed Clan GM whose role and appointment replaces that of the current Clan chief executive.
“We hope to be able to confirm the Clan GM appointment in the coming weeks. In the meantime the head coach will now report directly to the Clan Chairman until the Clan GM appointment is confirmed
“The club sincerely apologises to anyone upset by recent events.”
An interview with Uusivirta filmed by Clan following his signing showed that the club were aware of his background, but gave a different account of the circumstances.
Club media officer Craig Anderson said to the player: “Earlier in your life, in your career, something that happened roughly ten years ago, there was an incident that allegedly took place in North America.
“I’m in no way going to go into any details about what happened or what didn’t happen, that’s not what we’re here to do.”
All mention of the player was subsequently removed from the club website.
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country