Rangers manager Steven Gerrard said the club will try to improve Scottish football’s disciplinary process after admitting they could not defend the three-match ban given to Alfredo Morelos.
The Ibrox club accepted the charge handed out to the striker following an incident in last week’s match against Hibernian.
In the past Rangers have been vocal about the disciplinary process but Gerrard said he was keen to eliminate “unnecessary noise” and instead work constructively with the football authorities.
He said: “As a club it is something we have spoken about in great detail. Together everyone is aligned and we have tried to dial the noise down around the club – the unnecessary noise.
“Part of that is to accept the ban for Alfredo. I’ve looked at the incident a lot of times now and I don’t think there is a case for us to defend.
“That doesn’t mean we are happy with everything that happened in that game or that has happened in this season or in previous seasons.
“But it is something behind the scenes that the board and I are working very hard on – trying to find better solutions in terms of the disciplinary and the things that go on.
“We will continue to try and be a support to the authorities to try and make things better and more consistent.”
Rangers completed deals for defender Jack Simpson and attacker Scott Wright to join immediately on deadline day and both could feature against St Johnstone on Wednesday night.
Midfielder Nnamdi Ofoborh will join this summer after agreeing a pre-contract deal from Bournemouth.
The 21-year-old will spend the rest of this season on loan at Wycombe Wanderers before signing a four-year contract at Ibrox.
Asked if he had made a play to also bring in Ofoborh before the deadline, Gerrard said: “Nnamdi’s situation was slightly different to the other two boys in that we had players who wanted to go out on loan.
“For example, Jordan Jones and Brandon Barker left so it was important we got Scott Wright done. George Edmundson wanted to go and explore the Derby situation so it was important we got Jack done.
“Nnamdi is one we have identified to come into the group in the summer but we are fine in terms of the numbers and the quality we have got in the midfield right now, so it didn’t make sense to push that one right now.
“He is certainly a player we are excited and looking forward to working with – another young talent we want to develop and improve.”
Reflecting on his January dealings, Gerrard said he was happy that his squad was stronger for the league run-in, with his side sitting 23 points clear with 12 games left to play.
The Rangers boss said: “I think the window was really positive for us in terms of getting the two boys done and dusted.
“I think they’ll re-energise the squad. They are really looking forward to getting started – two real big talents, obviously in different positions.
“Three of the boys went out over the past couple of days to play valuable minutes for themselves so it has been a pretty positive window for us.
“I have to pay my respects to [sporting director] Ross Wilson and how he went about it, and to the board for their continued support.
“It puts us in a stronger place moving forward.”
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country