League leaders Celtic ease to three points with dominant win over Hibs

Celtic remain unbeaten in the league this season as they eased past Hibernian in Glasgow.

Celtic returned to top form as they put Hibs to the sword and eased towards all three points with a dominant performance in Glasgow.

Luis Palma assisted two and scored a penalty as they beat Nick Montgomery’s side 4-1 in the Premiership clash on Wednesday night.

Hyeongyu Oh made the most of his opportunity in the starting line-up with a brace after being picked ahead of Kyogo Furuhashi and Matt O’Riley continued his early season form with another goal.

Celtic remain unbeaten after 16 games in the league this season and stay eight points clear at the top of the pile with the win.

The Easter Road side came into the game as the form team after three consecutive wins but they were blown away by the champions who will probably be thinking they could have had two or three more.

Brendan Rodgers says he was as angry as he’s been in his management career after their first-half performance against St Johnstone at the weekend so he would have been looking for a better start this time around.

And he got exactly that when they took the lead after just five minutes when a Cameron Carter-Vickers effort from a Palma corner deflected off Oh and past David Marshall to make it 1-0.

The South Korean forward had a good chance to double the lead after Alistair Johnston whipped in a cross from the right-hand side, but he failed to connect as he would have liked and Marshall collected it.

Marshall was forced into action again soon after from a long-range Callum McGregor effort that was put behind for a corner.

Celtic continued to knock on the door and the second goal came ten minutes before half-time.

Palma was again the provider and his cross from the left hand side was headed in by Matt O’Riley for his eighth goal of the season to make it 2-0 going into the break.

The second-half was only minutes old when the league leaders made it 3-0 when Palma scored from the penalty spot.

Referee John Beaton was called over to the VAR monitor to check a foul on Alistair Johnston by Lewis Stevenson and after watching the footage he pointed to the spot.

Palma had scored one and missed one of his previous two penalties, but the Honduras winger stepped up again and slotted it past Marshall to give the home side a commanding lead.

And the three-points where all but guaranteed when Oh raced on to a through ball from McGregor and overpowered Fish before scoring his second of the game to make it 4-0.

Hibs got one back when Doidge bundled the ball into the net after good play and cut back from Youan to reduce the deficit and make it 4-1.

Kyogo should have made it five for Celtic after he connected with a brilliant Alistair Johnston pass but the Japan forward sliced his effort over the bar from close range.

And as if to rub salt in the wounds, the stadium announcer used that time to reveal that Kyogo’s understudy Oh had been named man of the match.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code