Dick Campbell leaves Arbroath after Scottish Cup defeat by Spartans

Spartans through to next round after 2-1 victory on Saturday.

Dick Campbell leaves Arbroath after Scottish Cup defeat by Spartans SNS Group

Dick Campbell has stepped down as Arbroath manager after his side’s 2-1 defeat against Spartans in the Scottish Cup.

Campbell has worked wonders at the part-time club alongside twin brother Ian and took them to the Premiership play-offs in 2022 but news of his departure was announced an hour after the third-round loss in Edinburgh.

Former Arbroath midfielder James Craigen gave Spartans the lead late in the first half and Jamie Dishington hit a 50th-minute winner within 60 seconds of David Gold’s equaliser.

An Arbroath statement announced that the Campbell brothers had stepped down along with coaches Rab Douglas and John Young.

Campbell led Arbroath to the League 2 and League 1 titles and five consecutive seasons of second-tier football.

The Championship club expressed their “sincere gratitude” to the four coaches for their “wonderful efforts and service”.

Dundee United crashed out of the tournament at the first hurdle after losing 4-3 on penalties against Queen of the South following a 2-2 draw at Palmerston.

Kai Fotheringham scored a double for the Championship leaders either side of strikes from Gavin Reilly and Lee Connelly.

United had 35 shots at goal, 18 of them on target, but found Queens goalkeeper Harry Stone in inspired form and Marvin Bartley’s League 1 side scooped only their second win in 11 games.

Aidan Fitzpatrick hit a double as Partick Thistle beat Queen’s Park 3-0 in a Glasgow derby at Firhill.

Blair Alston opened the scoring from long range in the 37th minute before Fitzpatrick doubled the lead before the break. The wide player finished off the Spiders five minutes after the interval following a one-two with Ben Stanway.

There will be three non-league teams in Sunday night’s fourth-round draw. Broomhill won 3-0 at Cumnock, Brora beat Pollok 1-0 but Buckie Thistle produced arguably the performance of the round when they beat Broxburn Athletic despite having two men sent off in the first half in an action-packed contest in West Lothian.

Broxburn took until the 81st minute to open the scoring but Darryl McHardy forced extra time by levelling in the eighth minute of stoppage time. Lewis Turner’s free-kick put Broxburn ahead in the final minute of extra time but still Buckie were not beaten as Joshua Peters levelled in the second minute of time added on. Buckie pulled off an unlikely win when they triumphed 5-4 on penalties.

Dumbarton came from behind in extra time to edge a nine-goal thriller in another dramatic tie at Annan.

The Sons were 2-0 up at half-time but needed Finlay Gray’s deflected 88th-minute strike to force extra time. Smith’s second goal of the game put Annan ahead but Michael Ruth levelled before James Hilton found the bottom corner from 20 yards in the 118th minute to seal a 5-4 victory.

Ayr left it late at Peterhead – Sean McGinty levelled in the sixth minute of stoppage-time before Fraser Bryden made it 2-1 in the 116th minute.

Inverness were also forced to wait against Cowdenbeath before David Wotherspoon and Billy Mckay netted in the final 10 minutes.

Calum Gallagher’s goal was enough to earn Airdrie victory at Stranraer while Morton saw off Bo’ness 4-0 at Cappielow.

Reece Lyon and Lewis Moore were on target as Kelty Hearts won 2-0 at Hamilton while Falkirk saw off the challenge of Formartine as three goals in five minutes late in the first half earned a one-sided 3-0 victory.

Forfar and Bonnyrigg Rose earned 1-0 wins at Lowland League sides Tranent and Albion Rovers respectively while Alloa, Cove Rangers and Montrose will also take their place in the draw.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in