Celtic celebrate Double success after Scottish Cup final win over Rangers

The Celtic striker scored a 90th minute winner against Rangers at Hampden.

Celtic have won the Scottish Cup after a hard-fought 1-0 victory over Rangers at Hampden.

Substitute Adam Idah scored the only goal of the game in the 90th minute to ensure that his side finish the season with a double, adding the cup to their Premiership crown.

The showpiece final had been short on goalmouth action and looked to be heading to extra time when Paulo Bernardo carried the ball forward and tried his luck with a shot from distance.

Rangers goalkeeper Jack Butland stopped the shot but couldn’t hold the ball and Idah pounced to stab it over the line, sparking wild celebrations at the national stadium.

The victory comes after Celtic has won the league title for the third successive year and ends a successful return to the club for manager Brendan Rodgers. The Northern Irishman has now won nine major trophies across his two spells at the club.

Rodgers was able to draw from a fully fit squad when naming his side, and brought back players he had rested in the final league game of the season when he named his team ahead of kick-off.

Rangers boss Philippe Clement had injury worries to deal with but was able to welcome Leon Balogun and Ridvan Yilmaz back into his team after their fitness had been in doubt.

The match kicked off with its trademark noise, with Celtic and Rangers fans cheering their sides on, and there was the usual high pace and energy from the start.

The first half passed without much in the way of clear chances, with Cyriel Dessers having two opportunities to put Ranegrs ahead but neither side dominating play.

Rangers thought they had taken the lead after an hour’s play, when James Tavernier swung in a corner that went over Celtic goalkeeper Joe Hart and was knocked over the line by Abdallah Sima.

But as Rangers celebrated taking the lead, Hart was already protesting that he had been pushed, and after being invited to review the incident by VAR, referee Nick Walsh quickly agreed that Nico Raskin had fouled the keeper and disallowed the goal.

Both sides made changes in an attempt to gain the upper hand, and Rangers enjoyed a long spell of pressure and a succession of corners but it looked as if extra time and perhaps penalties would be needed to settle the contest.

GLASGOW, SCOTLAND - MAY 25: Celtic's Adam Idah celebrates after scoring to make it 1-0 during a Scottish Gas Scottish Cup final match between Celtic and Rangers at Hampden Park, on May 25, 2024, in Glasgow, Scotland. (Photo by Craig Foy / SNS Group)

In the 90th minute, Bernardo tried to decide the game with his shot from outside the box and when Butland’s error presented the chance, Idah pounced and scored.

Eight minutes of added time gave Rangers a chance to claw themselves level but Celtic were resolute and the final whistle saw them complete the double and end the season by lifting the famous Scottish Cup trophy for the 42nd time.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code