Celtic and Motherwell share two points after late drama in Glasgow

Celtic missed a penalty before being awarded another late on.

Celtic and Motherwell share two points after late drama in Glasgow SNS Group

Celtic and Motherwell have shared two Premiership points after a day of late drama at Parkhead on Saturday afternoon.

The home side took the lead on the 85th minute when David Turnbull slotted home a penalty before Jonathon Obiki grabbed an equaliser five minutes later.

Celtic are now nine points clear at the top of the league, but second placed Rangers have two games in hand starting with a trip to Aberdeen on Sunday.

Brendan Rodgers’ side had the best of a lacklustre first-half but were unable to break the deadlock against a well organised defence from the visitors.

Motherwell almost scored an own goal in what was the closest the Hoops came to a goal in the opening 45 minutes.

Hyeongyu Oh came on at half-time to partner Kyogo as Brendan Rodgers decided to go with two up front as they looked to take all three points.

The Hoops were awarded a penalty soon after when Oh was fouled in the box by Bevis Mugabi as he attempted to latch on a rebound from a Liam Kelly save.

Luis Palma, who scored from the spot in the 6-0 win over Aberdeen before the international break, stepped up again but his delayed effort was well saved by Kelly.

That was the Honduras international’s last action of the game as him and Kyogo were replaced by Mikey Johnstone and David Turnbull.

Celtic continued to put pressure on a Motherwell backline that were parked in their own half, but struggled to make the break through as the crowd started to grow anxious.

And they were awarded another penalty after the referee was called to the VAR monitor with five minutes remaining of the 90 when Johnstone was pulled back from a corner.

This time former Motherwell player Turnbull stepped up and he put it away for his seventh goal of the season to put the home side ahead.

But Motherwell fought back and equalised on the 90th minute when Obika struck from a corner to make it 1-1.

Ten minutes were added on at the end but neither side were able to get the all important third goal as the points were shared.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code