STV Sport sponsored by Papa Johns

Josh Taylor's win over Jack Catterall to be investigated by boxing authorities

The governing body is to look into Taylor's controversial split-decision victory.

British Boxing Board of Control to investigate Josh Taylor’s win over Jack Catterall SNS Group

Boxing’s governing body has said that it is planning to investigate the scoring of Josh Taylor’s world title win over Jack Catterall in Glasgow on Saturday.

Taylor, the undisputed world light-welterweight champion, put his four belts on the line in the fight and was awarded victory after two of the three judges scored the bout in his favour.

A vast majority of viewers, including experts, pundits and fellow professionals, believed the verdict was wrong and that Catterall, who impressed in his first world title fight and floored Taylor in the eighth round, should have been declared the winner and the new champion.

Taylor, who kept his unbeaten record and his titles, insisted that he had been the better boxer and had won the fight but the controversy is now set to continue with the boxing authorities looking into the scoring.

A brief statement released on Monday read: “The British Boxing Board of Control will be investigating the scoring of this contest and will advise accordingly.”

Judge Howard Foster scored the bout 113-112 to Catterall, Victor Loughlin awarded it 113-112 to Taylor, with Ian John-Lewis calling it 114-111 for the Scot. Both fighters had been deducted a point during the fight.

Taylor was making his first defence after unifying the division with a win over Jose Ramirez last year.

On Saturday, the Prestonpans fighter said that he hadn’t been at his best but deserved to remain champion.

“Jack deserves all the praise he’s got because he turned up, he’s done well and he did better than everyone expected so fair play to him but he never won that fight and I told him that in the ring straight after the result,” the 31-year-old said.

“I said, ‘Well done, you done great but you never won that fight,’ so obviously he maybe disagrees.

“We know it was close and we know it wasn’t our best performance but we know we won the fight.”

On Instagram, Catterall claimed two years of work had been all for nothing.

“You know what hurts the most, it wasn’t for me I done all of this for my family, my team, my town and country,” he said.

“My baby girl and misses, our future. Today I should of been waking up with all of the belts. 15 months out the ring, they all wrote me off.

“Sacrificed everything to fight one of the top p4p ranked fighters, gave him a lesson. For what. Boxing shame on you… Dreams stolen.”

Taking to Instagram on Monday, Taylor said: “I have taken a few days for some well-earnt time with my family after not seeing them for a few months. I’ve had a chance to watch the fight back. First and foremost, I want to congratulate Jack Catterall on a great fight. He rose to the occasion and fought a valiant fight. However, I believe I won a very close fight.

“Many fans believe Jack deserved the decision, and that’s fine. We both went in there and fought our guts out for 12 rounds… but the personal attacks on myself and especially my family are disgusting and uncalled for.

“My days at 140 are numbered. My future is at welterweight. Jack Catterall deserves another title shot, and as soon as possible. I’ve never ducked a challenge in my career, and I’d be happy to fight Jack again, but it would have to be at welterweight. Jack is a great sportsman, a helluva fighter, and deserves every bit of the admiration he’s been receiving.

“I want to thank my family, my team, the fans who packed The OVO Hydro, and everyone who watched on Sky Sports, ESPN+, and around the world.

“Fighting as the undisputed champion on Scottish soil was a dream come true, but I’m only getting started. I’ll be back and better than ever, this time ready to conquer the welterweight division.”