Andy Murray had been granted a wildcard entry to this month’s Madrid Open.
The Scot, who hasn’t competed at the event since 2017, has decided to accept an invitation to play at the tournament despite ruling himself out of the clay court season back in February.
The 34-year-old will be in action in the Spanish capital next week, with the tournament running from Tuesday until Sunday, May 8.
It is understood the three-time grand slam winner, who has battled back from career-saving hip surgery, has been practising on clay and is feeling comfortable, and is eager to play competitively ahead of the grass-court season.
The former world number one previously said clay had exacerbated injury issues and almost caused him to miss last year’s Wimbledon.
Speaking back in February, Murray said: “Right now I am not planning on playing through the clay.
“The past couple of years, the clay has made issues worse; last year I had some issues at the beginning of the year, the clay didn’t help, so I’ve spoken to my team about that and this year while I feel good and healthy, I don’t want to take that risk.
“It’s not that I wouldn’t potentially play on clay in the future. Last year I almost missed Wimbledon, was close to not playing the grass season, I’m not planning on playing the clay. I will still try to compete a bit during that period, I won’t do nothing, that’s my plan just now.
“I had a busy end of last year and the next couple of months I won’t take any risks and hopefully get a good build up to the grass season.”
The Madrid Open 2022 will begin on Tuesday, April 26.
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country