Aberdeen throw away two goal lead in Conference League defeat to PAOK

The Greek side arrived at Pittodrie with two wins from two in the Conference League group.

Aberdeen throw away two goal lead in Conference League defeat to PAOK SNS Group

Aberdeen have thrown away a two goal lead to lose 3-2 to PAOK at Pittodrie in the Europa Conference League.

Bojan Miovski and Dante Polvara gave the home side a comfortable lead before the group leaders hit back late in an action packed second-half.

The match was won with a penalty in the last minute of injury time after a VAR intervention in a heart-breaking night for the Dons.

To make matters worse Aberdeen will feel as though they should have had a penalty when what looked like a stone-waller was ignored by the referee and VAR team at a stage in the game that would have all but secured the win for the Scottish side.

The visitors arrived at Pittodrie at the top of the group with two wins from two in their games against Eintracht Frankfurt and HJK Helsinki.

Barry Robson’s side on the other hand were still looking for their first win in the competition despite two encouraging displays in a narrow defeat away to Frankfurt and a draw with HJK.

Konstantelias came close to putting PAOK ahead in the opening stages when he cut into the box before hitting the base of the post with a trickling effort.

The Greek side enjoyed most of the possession but neither goalkeeper had much to do in terms of saves or shots on target in the first 45.

Suarez had a great chance to break the deadlock with the last bit of action of the half but he sent his shot high over Kelle Roos’ crossbar.

Aberdeen started well in the second-half and the home fans had something to cheer when Miovski put them ahead just four minutes after the restart.

Jack McKenzie put the ball into the box and the Macedonian turned it into the net for his ninth goal of the season.

And the Red Army were in dreamland not long after when they doubled their lead just before the hour-mark.

They cut PAOK open with a swift counter-attack and Miovski turned provider when he put Dante Polvara through on goal and the American chipped it over the goalkeeper and into the net to make it 2-0.

The visitors got themselves back in it when Kiril Despodov put the ball past Roos to make it 2-1 with just under 15 minutes remaining.

They were then throwing everything at it and had a flurry of corners around the 80 minute mark as they looked for an equaliser.

And they got what they desired soon after when a deflected shot from captain Vieirinha flew past Roos to make it 2-2.

Aberdeen tried desperately to get back on the front foot and came inches away from regaining the lead when a corner from Johnny Hayes caused confusion in the box before being saved on the line by the leg of the PAOK keeper and scrambled away.

Jamie McGrath came close moments later but he fired his shot just wide of the post.

Then just as it looked as though the match had ended at 2-2 the referee was called to the VAR monitor before pointing to the spot in the 93rd minute.

Stefan Schwab stepped up and converted to make it 3-2 with the last kick of the game.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in