Aberdeen have submitted their appeal to the Scottish FA over Jim Goodwin’s eight-match touchline ban.
The Dons boss was handed a lengthy suspension after making comments about Hibernian defender Ryan Porteous, claiming that the centre-back persistently tried to con referees to win free-kicks and penalties.
Goodwin was banned for six games immediately, with a further two games suspended until the end of the season. Aberdeen felt that ban was excessive and after studying the written reasons for the decision, they have decided to appeal.
Goodwin will find out at a hearing on October 31 if the ban is to be shortened but the Aberdeen manager can take his place in the dugout until then.
Speaking earlier this week, he said that he had learned a lesson from the incident and would be more careful with his interviews in future.
“My pre-match and post-match interviews might become very boring in the future,” he said. “I find it very difficult not to speak my mind but maybe in the future I will need to bite my tongue.
“I take responsibility for my actions. I’m disappointed what I said has brought this negative press on myself and the club.
“I want to be seen as a respectable young manager but sometimes there’s a lot of emotion involved in this game and someone sticks a microphone in your face 10 minutes afterwards and you say things that, in the cold light of day, you wish you hadn’t.
“I try and give a fair, honest assessment of what I’ve seen. Maybe I could have worded it differently.
“We have got the appeal coming and we will see what the outcome is. Whatever the appeals panel decide, I will accept it and learn from it and make sure I don’t make the same mistakes in the future.”