A woman who was found unconscious next to her dead husband in a Spanish villa following a suspected carbon monoxide leak remains in a “serious condition” in hospital.
Emergency services on the island of Majorca were called to a rural property in Cala Mesquida where they found Jaime Carsi, 40, dead and 39-year-old Mary Somerville next to him.
Ms Somerville remains in a serious condition in the Intensive care unit of Manacor Hospital.
A spokesperson for the hospital said: “I confirm that Mary Somerville, 39, is still in serious condition in the ICU of the Manacor Hospital.”
An Ultima Hora report said an autopsy found that Mr Carsi, an analyst at a Scottish investment firm, had died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The couple had been on their “second honeymoon” in Majorca having celebrated a second wedding ceremony back in Edinburgh with family and friends only 15 days before.
A friend of the couple, Iain Stewart, described them as a “match made in heaven”, and said that everybody is “praying that Mary pulls through”.
A UK Foreign Office spokesperson said: “We are supporting the family of a British national who was hospitalised in Mallorca. We are in contact with the local authorities.”
At FMQ’s last Thursday, the First Minister backed calls for holidaymakers to pack “life-saving” carbon monoxide detectors when they travel abroad, as he paid tribute to the couple.
He added: “My thoughts are with, of course, the family of Jamie Carsi and indeed, of course, with his wife, Mary.
“Who remains, my understanding is, in a very serious condition in hospital. My thoughts, of course, with their friends, their family and the community that will be deeply saddened and rocked by these events.”