Two Scottish cities have been included in Time Out’s list of the world’s coolest neighbourhoods.
The global media and hospitality brand released its sixth annual list of trending areas of global cities which features the most exciting districts in the world.
Included in the list are Leith in Edinburgh and the West End in Glasgow which placed at 16 and 20, respectively.
They beat the likes of the bustling King’s Cross area in London which came in at 24 on the list of 40 places.
The ranking is part of Time Out’s annual survey, this year they asked 12,000 people from their international audience to nominate areas of cities which have the best “mix of cutting-edge culture, affordable great food and drink, street life, nightlife and community”.
Grace Beard, travel editor at Time Out, said: “What stands out with this year’s Time Out Coolest Neighbourhoods is that, while most of them have seen transformation over recent years, they remain resolutely local-at-heart.
“Exciting new openings across culture, food and drink are bringing in new crowds, but neighbourhood stalwarts – from old pubs to family greengrocers – keep it real.
“And they’re fun. These are places where the city comes to play, be it an all-night party, a spot of urban fishing or a nighttime bike ride.
“After a few tumultuous years, it’s heartening to see communities coming together to hang out, support local businesses and have some fun.”
Time Out’s 40 coolest neighbourhoods in the world
- Laureles: Medellín, Colombia
- Smithfield: Dublin, Ireland
- Carabanchel: Madrid, Spain
- Havnen – The Harbour: Copenhagen, Denmark
- Sheung Wan: Hong Kong
- Brunswick East: Melbourne, Australia
- Mid-City: New Orleans, USA
- Isola: Milan, Italy
- West: Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Tomigaya: Tokyo, Japan
- Baltic Triangle: Liverpool, UK
- Cours Julien: Marseille, France
- Arts District: Los Angeles, USA
- Chinatown: Singapore
- Fort Greene: New York, USA
- Leith: Edinburgh, UK
- Enmore: Sydney, Australia
- Costa Caparica, Almada: Lisbon, Portugal
- Hyde Park: Chicago, USA
- West End: Glasgow, UK
- Sea Point: Cape Town, South Africa
- Neukölln: Berlin, Germany
- Haut-Marais: Paris, France
- King’s Cross: London, UK
- Hannam-dong: Seoul, South Korea
- Coral Gables: Miami, USA
- Richmond District: San Francisco, USA
- Vinohrady: Prague, Czech Republic
- El Clot: Barcelona, Spain
- San Miguel Chapultepec: Mexico City, Mexico
- Exarcheia: Athens, Greece
- Bebek: Istanbul, Turkey
- Ponsonby: Auckland, New Zealand
- Zhongshan: Taipei, Taiwan
- Bonifacio Global City (BGC): Manila, Philippines
- Centre-Ville: Montreal, Canada
- Dotonbori: Osaka, Japan
- The Annex: Toronto, Canada
- Song Wat: Bangkok, Thailand
- Cantonments: Accra, Ghana
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country