Scots have been warned of the devastating impact fireworks can have on dogs ahead of Bonfire Night.
Pets can be upset by the noise, like Fiona MacFarlane’s rescue greyhound Charlie who was filmed shaking uncontrollably on her kitchen floor after loud bangs were heard outside.
“That happens almost every night for three weeks at this time of year,” Ms MacFarlane told STV News previously, “It’s a nightmare”.
Animal charities have urged people not to host private firework displays because of what they say are serious welfare concerns, with the Scottish SPCA issuing advice for pet owners to keep their animals safe and secure on November 5.
Dog owners have been urged to walk their pets earlier in the day before fireworks are set off and to only take them outside for short toilet breaks.
Pets should not be left home alone on Bonfire Night and all doors, windows and cat flaps should be secure to stop animals escaping.
Enrichment activities or indoor games could distract pets, however if they begin to roam from room to room, they may be in search of a safe space and should not be forced to stay in the same spot.
Pet owners have also been urged not to bring dogs to fireworks displays, even if they do not normally react to fireworks, as the noise and crowds could startle them and they could run away.
In a statement, the Scottish SPCA said: “Fireworks and bonfires can be very distressing and dangerous for many people and animals across the country.
“This November will be the first time in two years that there have been no restrictions on large gatherings during Bonfire Night so we are asking the public to #BeSafeBeKindBeSmart around fireworks.”