Nicola Sturgeon has said she had “no prior knowledge of Police Scotland’s action or intentions” after the force arrested her husband and searched her home.
The former first minister vowed to “fully cooperate” with authorities as they continue their investigation into the funding and finances of the Scottish National Party.
On Wednesday morning, her husband Peter Murrell was arrested as police launched searches on her Uddingston home and the party’s headquarters in Edinburgh.
Later that evening, after more than 11 hours in custody, Murrell was released without charge “pending further investigation”.
In a statement just before his release, a spokesperson for Sturgeon said: “It would not be appropriate to comment on a live police investigation.
“Nicola Sturgeon had no prior knowledge of Police Scotland’s action or intentions.
“Ms Sturgeon will fully cooperate with Police Scotland if required, however at this time no such request has been made.”
Murrell – who has been married to Sturgeon since 2010 – served as the SNP’s chief executive for 20 years until last month.
His party is under investigation by Police Scotland and the Crown Office on how £600,000 of funding raised by the SNP for independence campaigning has been spent.
Sturgeon said just last month that she did not know whether she or her husband would be questioned by police.
The former SNP leader was still in her home when police arrived with no advanced notice.
Officers set up a large tent and were seen scouring her garden.
On Wednesday evening, the force released a statement announcing Murrell’s release.
It said: “A 58-year-old man who was arrested as a suspect earlier today, Wednesday, April 5 2023, in connection with the ongoing investigation into the funding and finances of the Scottish National Party, has been released without charge pending further investigation.
“The man was questioned by Police Scotland detectives after he was arrested at 7.45am. He was released from custody at 6.57pm.
“Officers also carried out searches today at a number of addresses as part of the investigation.
“A report will be sent to the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service.”
The police urged caution from the public when discussing the case on social media, citing concerns around contempt of court.
The statement continued: “The matter remains active for the purposes of the Contempt of Court Act 1981 and the public are therefore advised to exercise caution if discussing it on social media.
“As the investigation is ongoing we are unable to comment further.”
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country