McDonald’s has announced it will reopen hundreds of restaurants for dine-in customers from Wednesday.
The fast food chain said the move follows a successful trial at four branches.
It said that around 700 of its 1350 restaurants across the UK, excluding Wales which has restricted eating in restaurants, will reopen to welcome customers inside.
The move will also allow participating branches to take part in the Government’s Eat Out to Help Out scheme, halving dine-in bills by up to £10 per person on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays in August.
McDonald’s has already reopened its sites across the UK for drive-thru and takeaway sales after they were temporarily shut in March.
Customers will be served their food by table service only, with orders being taken through the McDonald’s app or at tills and kiosks.
In a statement, McDonald’s said: “Around 700 restaurants will reopen for dine-in with customers able to enjoy their McDonald’s favourites inside the restaurant.
“Social distancing measures will be in place and, to prevent congestion, the restaurant will carefully manage the number of customers inside.
“When arriving, customers will be asked to use the hand sanitiser provided and follow the safety measures laid out in restaurants to help keep them, other customers and restaurant teams safe.”
Last week, McDonald’s said it has also recommended that franchisees cut the price of popular items and meal deals after the Government slashed VAT on hot meals from 20% to 5% for the next six months.
It said it intends to reduce the price of Happy Meals by 30p and breakfast meals by 50p, with price cuts also recommended for Big Macs, Quarter Pounders and McNuggets.