Death of man in Spanish villa due to 'breakdown of refrigerator'

Jaime Carsi died and Mary Somerville remains in a serious condition after a suspected carbon monoxide leak in Majorca.

Edinburgh man found dead next to unconscious wife in Spanish villa due to ‘breakdown of refrigerator’ Supplied

A man was found dead in a Spanish villa next to his unconscious wife after the “breakdown of a refrigerator” led to a carbon monoxide leak.

Emergency services on the island of Majorca were called to a rural property in Cala Mesquida on Saturday, May 6, where they found Jaime Carsi, 40, dead and 39-year-old Mary Somerville unresponsive next to him.

A report from Ultima Hora said an autopsy found that Mr Carsi, an analyst at an Edinburgh investment firm, had died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Guardia Civil has said that the leak was caused by “the breakdown of a refrigerator”.

A spokesperson said: “Guardia Civil is in charge of this investigation.

“It seems that it was an accident due to the breakdown of a refrigerator.”

Ms Somerville remains in a serious condition in the Intensive care unit of Manacor Hospital.

A spokesperson for Manacor Hospital said: “I confirm that Mary Somerville, 39, is still in serious condition in the ICU of the Manacor Hospital.”

The couple had been on their “second honeymoon” in Majorca having celebrated a second wedding ceremony back in Edinburgh with family and friends only 15 days before.

A friend of the couple, Iain Stewart, described them as a “match made in heaven”, and said that everybody is “praying that Mary pulls through”.

A UK Foreign Office spokesperson said: “We are supporting the family of a British national who was hospitalised in Mallorca. We are in contact with the local authorities.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code