EasyJet has announced it has cancelled its new flights between Scotland and Manchester due to the latest travel ban.
The airline said it would no longer be able to operate its planned new routes connecting Edinburgh and Aberdeen with Manchester due to the restrictions on non-essential travel announced last week by the Scottish Government.
It comes after the Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham called the decision to extend the travel ban across the region as “totally disproportionate” and criticised First Minister Nicola Sturgeon for not contacting him ahead of the announcement.
Sturgeon suggested that Burnham was seeking to “generate a spat” to position himself in a future Labour leadership contest.
In a statement on Wednesday, EasyJet said customers would be notified of the cancellation and informed of their options.
It read: “Following the Scottish Government’s announcement that non-essential travel between Scotland and Manchester is currently not permitted, unfortunately we are no longer able to operate our planned new routes connecting Edinburgh and Aberdeen with Manchester.
“Customers due to travel on these flights will be notified of the cancellation and informed of their options, which includes transferring their trip to an alternative destination on easyJet’s network or to a later date free of charge, or receiving either a voucher or refund for the entire value of their booking.
“We would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by the latest news and cancellations.”