The cost of living crisis could lead to increased risk of house fires in Scotland, fire chiefs have warned.
Concerns have been raised over the rise in accidental or preventable fires due to measures taken to keep household bills down over the winter months.
Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) supply online advice for households on safe ways to keep chimneys clean as well as using portable gas and paraffin heaters and candles.
The service have said they are “aware of the potential risk for an increase in accidental dwelling fires as result of the cost of living crisis.”
It comes after Scott Gibson, area manager for SFRS in Perth and Kinross, warned of the potential dangers from single room living, using old gas appliances, bypassing gas meters and opening up old fireplaces and chimneys.
He encouraged councillors to issue safety information to residents on how to keep homes safe.
He said: “There is potential for fires to occur within chimneys and then spread into roof spaces especially if they are old and dilapidated then there’s potential there for that fire spread.”
A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson told STV News: “We constantly monitor fire safety trends across Scotland and the rest of the UK to allow the service and partners to target advice to the public through media campaigns and community engagement.
“We exchange information and expertise through the National Fire Chiefs Council and are aware of the potential risk for an increase in accidental dwelling fires as result of the cost of living crisis.
“We will continue to issue and deliver seasonal safety advice ahead of this winter with a particular focus on fire related home safety.
“Our website has detailed advice on many aspects of home safety including how to keep chimneys clean and how to use portable gas and paraffin heaters as well as candles.”