Celtic win League Cup with 2-1 Hampden victory over Rangers

The first trophy of the season was on the line at Hampden on Sunday.

Celtic win League Cup with 2-1 Hampden victory over Rangers SNS Group

Celtic have won the first piece of silverware of the 2022/23 season as they defeated Rangers 2-1 in the Viaplay Cup final at Hampden.

Kyogo Furuhashi continued his red hot form with a goal on each side of half-time to make it 2-0 as he scored a double for the second consecutive League Cup final.

Alfredo Morelos was on the scoresheet for Rangers as he brought one back on the hour mark but it wasn’t enough to get anything from the game.

Malik Tillman and John Lundstram both made the starting line-up for Rangers despite injury fears earlier in the week.

Meanwhile Aaron Mooy returned for Celtic after missing last week’s win over Aberdeen with Kyogo starting up top in place of Oh.

Celtic were looking to secure their sixth League Cup in seven years as Rangers were looking to win the trophy for the first time in over a decade.

Both teams had chances in a frantic opening 20 minutes with Celtic having the best of the early possession and Kyogo had a penalty claim waved away before Allan McGregor saved from Jota.

Celtic's Kyogo Furuhashi celebrates his first half opener.SNS Group

Up the other end Fashion Sakala was looking the most dangerous for Rangers and he almost had a golden opportunity to open the scoring on the half-hour mark but Cameron Carter-Vickers made a timely intervention to clear it for a corner.

Kyogo and Ryan Kent both had efforts go over the bar as the game flowed from end to end in a scrappy first 45.

The Japan forward then had Celtic’s best chance of the half but his header was again over the crossbar with five minutes from the break.

But it was third time lucky for Kyogo a few moments later when he opened the scoring from close range to make it 1-0 and give the Hoops a half-time lead.

Rangers came close to an equaliser at the start of the second but Kent’s effort hit before Sakala’s rebound hit the side netting.

Alfredo Morelos celebrates pulling a goal back to make it 2-1.SNS Group

Celtic doubled their lead soon after and it was Kyogo again on target when he turned home a Hatate cross on the 55th minute.

But just as it looked as if the game was running away from Rangers Morelos scored to make it 2-1 on the hour mark.

After that it was Rangers on the ascendency as they pushed for the equaliser and put Joe Hart under pressure on a few occasions.

Celtic’s two goal hero Kyogo was then replaced by Oh and Iwata came on for Hatate as Postecoglou looked to turn the game back in their favour.

Michael Beale also made changes with Antonio Colak replacing Morelos as they continued to chase an equaliser into the last ten minutes.

But they lost the momentum as Celtic looked to see out the final stages.

The champions have a nine-point lead over their city rivals at the top of the Premiership and are still in the Scottish Cup as they aim for a domestic clean sweep.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code