Ferry operator Calmac has announced further delays to the return to service of two of its vessels due to repair works taking longer than expected.
MV Caledonian Isles, which serves the main Arran route and is one of the largest ferries in the company’s fleet, is now expected to return to service at the end of May rather than in April as expected.
Meanwhile, MV Hebrides, which serves North Uist and Harris, is expected to be out of service until April 22 – weeks after the original return date of April 6.
MV Caledonian Isles was originally supposed to have returned to the water following repairs last November, but this was set back by the discovery of “steel deformation” and the need to replace both stern tube bearings.
The company said “extensive” repairs to the steel have now been completed, but the shafts require further “machining” in Denmark before sailings can resume.
Duncan Mackison, Calmac chief executive, said: “We know MV Caledonian Isles’ ongoing absence has caused significant disruption on Arran and the wider network, and that’s why we’ve taken steps to ensure that when she returns, she provides a resilient and reliable service.
“The now completed, extensive, steel repairs have been subject to rigorous inspections and we’re confident the root cause of the steel deformation has been resolved, with no further signs of deformation.
“The shafts have been subject to thorough checks from engine to propeller, and any issues identified and remedied as we go.
“We’re in regular contact with Arran’s ferry committee and want to reassure the local community that we expect MV Caledonian Isles back soon.”
Meanwhile, the return of MV Hebrides has been delayed by the need for six days of additional work to the vessel’s bow visor and stern ramp.
Mr Mackison said the situation was made worse by a fresh delay to the delivery of MV Isle of Islay, the first of four new ferries being built at the Cemre shipyard in Turkey.
Delivery of the new vessel had originally been expected at the end of 2024, but delays caused by labour shortages and bad weather mean handover is not expected before the end of the second quarter of 2025.
He said: “I know that this delay will cause our customers even more inconvenience, and I apologise for this.
“This situation has been compounded by the delays, which we know are due to issues outside of anyone’s control, with the delivery of MV Isle of Islay to service Islay.
“If the new vessel had been with us on time, we’d have had an additional major vessel in the fleet for a large part of winter and would not need to deploy one of MV Isle of Arran or MV Lord of the Isles to Islay during MV Finlaggan’s overhaul.
“I would like to thank communities and customers for their understanding and patience during this latest period of disruption, and we will continue to provide the best service possible to our customers using the vessels we have available.”
MV Glen Sannox and MV Alfred will continue to provide services from Troon to Brodick on Arran until the MV Caledonian Isles returns to cover the Ardrossan-Brodick route.
Calmac added it was liaising with Pentland Ferries on crew availability, with the intention of “maximising” passenger numbers to 428 on all MV Alfred sailings until the end of May.
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country
