An animal welfare charity has called for a ban on glue traps after a fox cub was trapped overnight.
The baby fox, who rescuers say was lucky to survive, was covered in glue after getting caught in the trap on April 10.
The device is a tray coated with a sticky adhesive typically used to trap rodents and animals classed as vermin.
The stricken cub was heard wailing in pain through the night before rescuers were called in to save him.
He was then taken to the Scottish SPCA’s National Wildlife Rescue Centre.
His fur was badly matted by the adhesive and needed to be shaved despite attempts to remove the glue through a mix of Fairy liquid, vegetable oil and soapy water.
Rescuers named the cub Sticky following his ordeal and he is now “happy and playul” with 19 other cubs to play with.
Sticky will be released later in the year when he is old enough to fend for himself in the wild.
Scottish SPCA wildlife manager Steve Gray said: “The prognosis for Sticky wasn’t good.
“The glue trap had seriously damaged his fur and skin.
“The team spent hours treating him on arrival and their efforts have really paid off.
“Now, he’s a happy, playful baby fox who is getting on well with the other cubs we’ve grouped him with.
“In a few months’, we will release Sticky at a suitable release site where we hope he will have a long, happy life in the wild.”
The Scottish SPCA is fiercely opposed to the use of glue traps in any form.
Chief superintendent Mike Flynn said: “We understand a pest control firm supplied the address with glue traps to deter vermin.
“Shockingly, glue traps are still legal in the UK.
“This poor fox cub’s lucky escape is further proof that they are an ineffective form of pest control.
“The Scottish SPCA has long advocated a total ban on glue traps.
“Thankfully, our brilliant rescuer and wildlife team have been able to save and care for Sticky, but many other wild animals aren’t so lucky.”