Householders are being urged to turn their garden into a ‘hedgehog highway’.
To celebrate Hedgehog Awareness Week (May 3-9), the British Hedgehog Preservation Society (BHPS) is asking people to think about how they can help the tiny mammal.
With more people relaxing in gardens and greenspaces amid the coronavirus restrictions, now is an ideal time to team up with neighbours – from a safe distance – to make the street hedgehog-friendly.
Fay Vass, BHPS chief executive, said: “Our gardens take up such a lot of habitat, and by getting together with neighbours to ensure hedgehogs have access points and hedgehog-friendly features in the garden, we can open up a really useful amount of habitat for them.
“You could become a hedgehog champion for your area at Hedgehog Street – a project run by BHPS and our partners People’s Trust for Endangered Species.
“Join 70,000 champions by signing up at hedgehogstreet.org.”
The BHPS will be holding daily competitions via its Twitter and Facebook pages. Join in by using #hedgehogweek
For more information, go to britishhedgehogs.org.uk.
How to keep hedgehogs happy
- Create a ‘hedgehog highway’ by making CD case-sized holes at the bottom of fences or walls.
- A log pile will help to provide both shelter and food.
- Build a hedgehog home to offer a hibernation site safe from predators in the winter. It can also be used as a nesting box for a mother and her hoglets in the warmer months.
- Leave meaty dog or cat food in the garden at night.
- Shallow bowls of water can also be a lifesaver in hot and dry conditions.
- Check areas carefully before mowing or strimming.
- Ensure netting is kept at a safe height.
- Check compost heaps before digging the fork in.
- Avoid using pesticides and slug pellets in your garden. Try to use organic methods instead.
- Cover drains or deep holes.
- Ensure there is an easy route out of ponds and pools.
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country