Billionaire ex-owner of Scotsman newspaper David Barclay dies

Tributes have been paid to the Daily Telegraph boss after his death following a short illness.

Sir David Barclay (left) and his twin brother Sir Frederick after receiving their knighthoods from the Queen in 2000. Michael Stephens via PA Media
Sir David Barclay (left) and his twin brother Sir Frederick after receiving their knighthoods from the Queen in 2000.

Billionaire and former co-owner of The Scotsman newspaper, Sir David Barclay, has died aged 86 after a short illness.

Known as the Barclay Brothers, with his identical twin Sir Frederick Hugh Barclay, the pair built a business empire with interests in media, retail and property, including ownership of the Daily Telegraph.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who worked as a columnist for the paper, paid tribute to Sir David, who died on Sunday.

He tweeted: “Farewell with respect and admiration to Sir David Barclay who rescued a great newspaper, created many thousands of jobs across the UK and who believed passionately in the independence of this country and what it could achieve.”


Born to Frederick Barclay, a travelling salesman from Kilmarnock, on October 27, 1934, David was the older twin by ten minutes.

Their father died when the boys were 13-years-old.

Growing up in a large family in Hammersmith, David and two of his brothers were evacuated several times during the Second World War, the Telegraph said, and ultimately the twins left school aged 14.

The brothers’ business success began with hotels, grew to include shipping, and in 1995 they bought The Scotsman newspaper, appointing Sunday Times editor Andrew Neil to oversee it shortly after.


A decade later, in 2005, the Barclays sold The Scotsman Publications Ltd to Johnston Press for £160m, having bought the Telegraph Media Group in 2004.

The Daily Telegraph said the brothers “operated as one” throughout their business career, while steadfastly avoiding personal publicity and media scrutiny.

The paper quoted a colleague of the brothers as saying Sir David was distinct from Sir Frederick in that he was “more attuned to taking a risk, and Frederick was generally willing to have a look but would never bet the farm”.

Sir David Barclay, left, joint-owner of the The Daily Telegraph, has died after a short illness aged 86.

The pair had an estimated shared wealth of around £7bn, according to the Sunday Times Rich List 2020.

Sir David was always a voracious reader, obsessed with newspapers, business, economics and politics, and who had always said he had been educated at the “university of life”, the paper said.

Hunt for men after car petrol bombed outside block of flats

The white BMW 5 series was targeted outside Woodside Court, Coatbridge around 4:20pm on Friday.

SNS group via Police Scotland
Investigation: Manhunt after car petrol bombed.

A car has been petrol bombed outside a block of flats in North Lanarkshire.

The white BMW 5 series was targeted outside Woodside Court, Coatbridge around 4:20pm on Friday.

Officers are treating the blaze as wilful and are now appealing for information after two men were seen in the area around the time the fire attack occurred.

The first man is described as aged 20-30, around 5ft8 and of stocky build. He was wearing a black hooded top with the hood up. He was wearing black gloves and thought to be in possession of a petrol canister.


The second man is described as aged 20-30, around 5ft7 and of slim build. He was wearing black tracksuit bottoms, a dark tracksuit top and a top with dark arms and a dark grey or green bottom half.

Detective constable Alan McNeil, of Lanarkshire CID, said: “It is believed the two males headed towards Highcross Avenue and onto Coll Drive after the fire.

“The area was busy at the time of this incident with vehicles and pedestrians passing by and I am appealing for anyone who saw people matching these descriptions or who has any information which may assist with our enquiries to contact us.

“I would also appeal for anyone who was in the area at the time and who may have dash cam footage to get in touch.”


Anyone with any information is asked to contact police on 101.

‘Covid has terrorised my family, please take it seriously’

Nikki O'Hara says rule breakers need to take the coronavirus pandemic more seriously.

Nikki O'Hara via Email

“Covid terrifies me and still haunts me and my family. I think this will stay with me for a long, long time.”

Nikki O’Hara, from Strathaven, describes herself as an ordinary working mum, a fit and healthy 53-year-old with no underlying health issues.

On December 17, her son’s 19th birthday, Nikki tested positive for coronavirus.

“My partner, Roger, tested positive and had mild symptoms, so I wasn’t surprised when I got it,” she said.


“I felt a bit rough for the first few days with a cough, a bit of a headache and a slight temperature.  

“A couple of friends had mentioned getting an oximeter, a wee gadget you attach to your finger to monitor your oxygen saturation levels. 

“I was doing some Christmas shopping online so I popped one in my shopping basket. It probably saved my life.”

Nikki contacted NHS 24 after her temperature spiked and the oximeter showed her oxygen levels were poor. She was then told to get to hospital as soon as possible.


“The night I went into hospital, Roger went down to England to support his parents as his dad, who had dementia, also had tested positive for Covid,” Nikki explained.

“We didn’t think Covid would kill him but it did, my beautiful father in law died on Christmas Eve. I just felt terrible because I was in hospital and couldn’t support Roger.”

Nikki developed Covid pneumonia, impacting her lungs, and needed antibiotics, steroids and oxygen to help her breathing.

“I spent the next 12 days in hospital terrified and powerless. The other eight ladies who I shared the ward with at various times were all around 50 years old. 

“I had no Christmas or New Year. I had no visitors but I didn’t care. The nurses did their best to reassure me but the terror didn’t leave me.”

While she was in hospital, Nikki’s daughter also tested positive for Covid. The 22-year-old had only mild symptoms.

Nikki slowly began to recover towards New Year and after 12 days in hospital, was allowed home on January 5.


Still recovering, she struggles to climb the stairs or do small tasks around the house.

“When I got home I was absolutely terrified as in the hospital, all the staff and nurses were always there to support me. I thought I might die during the night,” Nikki admitted.

“I am still scared but I know I am also very lucky. I am alive and I am getting better every day.”

Nikki described the NHS team who cared for her as her “superheroes”.  She said she has decided to share her story in the hope it would act as a wake-up call for people who are bending the rules or believe they will be unaffected by the virus.

“I believed I would be fine if I ever got it. Just a couple of paracetamol and I’d be fine but I wasn’t. This virus respects no one. Young or  old, we are all vulnerable. 

“We need to take it seriously every minute of every day.”

Hunt for man who exposed himself to teenager at bus stop

The 19-year-old woman was targeted on Clydebank’s Barns Street, opposite Andrew Drive, at around 6.05pm on Friday.

© Google Maps 2020
Police: Officers are appealing for information.

Police are on the hunt for a man who exposed himself to a teenager standing at a bus stop in West Dunbartonshire.

The 19-year-old woman was targeted on Clydebank’s Barns Street, opposite Andrew Drive, at around 6.05pm on Friday.

The suspect was described as tanned, in his 30s, around 5ft 10in, of medium build and with shoulder-length black hair.

He was wearing a black leather jacket with distinctive white lines on the chest and sleeves, black jeans and brown lace-up shoes.


Constable Sophie Canty, of Clydebank CID, said: “I’m appealing to anyone who may have been in the area at the time of the incident, or saw a man fitting the description either before or shortly after it took place, to contact us.”

If you have any information or saw anything suspicious, call 101.

Mass coronavirus vaccination drive begins at NHS Louisa Jordan

More than 5000 health and social care staff are expected to be vaccinated on Saturday.

NHS Louisa Jordan via Twitter
NHS Louisa Jordan Hospital: More than 5000 health and social care staff are expected to be vaccinated on Saturday.

A mass coronavirus vaccination drive has begun at the NHS Louisa Jordan Hospital in Glasgow.

More than 5000 health and social care staff are expected to be vaccinated on Saturday.

A team of 95 NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde (NHSGGC) staff will work alongside the hospital’s medics to deliver up to 500 doses of the Pfizer vaccine per hour over the course of the day. 

Dr Linda De Caestecker, director of public health for NHSGGC, said: “Today’s mass clinic at NHS Louisa Jordan is testament to the careful planning and professionalism of all the staff involved and I’d like to thank everyone who have made this possible. 


“This will play a crucial role in preventing the harm caused by this virus and keeping our vital staff safe to care for patients across healthcare settings.

“While Saturday marks a significant milestone, much work is yet to be done. The rates of infection remain very high in this area and vaccination must work alongside other measures if we are to suppress the virus. 

“Everyone must remember to follow the FACTS and to avoid social mixing in order to save as many lives as possible.”

Located at the Scottish Events Campus (SEC), a total of 65 vaccine stations have been mobilised, utilising the large floor space at NHS Louisa Jordan to ensure a rapid turnaround in a safe environment. 


The first injection was administered at 8.45am, with the last vaccination targeted for 7.30pm. 

Across NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde an additional 2350 staff are being vaccinated over the weekend at different sites.

The rapid rollout will help ensure a well-trained workforce is in place and processes are well developed to deliver the wider national vaccination deployment plan, which will see 400,000 people across Scotland receive jabs each week by the end of February. 

In line with the national plan, once the vaccine has been offered to all eligible health and social staff within NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, NHS Louisa Jordan will play a key role as a vaccination hub for the general public.

Members of the public will be informed when they are eligible to book an appointment for a vaccine.

Health secretary Jeane Freeman said: “To have 5000 vaccinations taking place at NHS Louisa Jordan in a single day is testament to the hard work of all the staff at the hospital and I want to thank each and every one of them for their part in the rollout of the biggest vaccination programme ever undertaken in Scotland.

“The vaccine offers us hope and as we vaccinate more and more people that hope becomes more real. 


“On its own it won’t be enough to win the race against this virus.  Our testing programme is crucial. 

“In addition, each one of us needs to follow the guidance, abide by the restrictions, wash our hands, wear face coverings and maintain a two-metre distance from others. 

“If we all play our part to suppress the prevalence of the virus, then vaccination can do the job we need it to do. 

“Doing all of this will protect us, protect the NHS and save lives.”

Family ‘heartbroken’ in fresh appeal to trace missing dad

Jackson Mason, 31, was reported missing from his home in Fenwick, East Ayrshire, last month.

Police Scotland / © Google Maps 2020
Missing: Jackson Mason was last seen walking near the Fenwick Hotel.

The family of a missing man has issued a heartfelt appeal almost a month after his disappearance. 

Jackson Mason, 31, was reported missing from his home in Fenwick, East Ayrshire, on Saturday, 19 December, 2020.

He was last seen between 4pm and 4.30pm walking near the Fenwick Hotel which is close to the slip road for the M77.

He is described as 6ft tall and of medium build with dark-brown hair and a heavy facial hair growth. When he was last seen he was wearing grey shorts, a shiny black bubble jacket and white trainers.


Jackson’s sisters, Caitlin Hamilton and Shari Parris, said: “If anyone has any information no matter how big or small on the whereabouts of our brother Jackson, please contact Police Scotland or one of the family.

‘We are completely heartbroken and devastated. We’re such a close family and always keep in contact with each other.’

Jackson’s sisters, Caitlin Hamilton and Shari Parris

“It’s coming up to a month since our brother went missing we can’t believe we have not heard from him since he went missing.

We are completely heartbroken and devastated. We’re such a close family and always keep in contact with each other.

“We urge anyone who knows anything at all to get in contact and Jackson if you see this, please come home or let us know you’re safe. 


“We’re so worried. We have been out day and night searching for you. We’re not angry with you, we love and miss you so much. 

‘I need you home son, my heart is broken without you, I’m not coping with you going missing.’

Jackson’s mum, Angela Smith

“Tyler misses you and wants his dad to come home. Thank you everyone who has helped us try and find our brother.”

Jackson’s mum, Angela Smith, added: “I need you home, son, my heart is broken without you, I’m not coping with you going missing. I need you to contact me to let me know you are safe son.

“This has been the worst 28 days of my life, so if you’re reading this, please go to the nearest hospital, Police station or chap someone’s door and they’ll guide you back in the right direction to come home to us.

“Love you with all my heart, you’re my only son and I need you in my life.”

Chief inspector Nathan Calderwood said: “Naturally Jackson’s family are extremely concerned for him and we want to trace him as soon as possible. It has been nearly a month, of pretty bad weather conditions, since he was last seen. 

“We would like to thank the public for their assistance so far in our enquiries but would urge anyone with any information to come forward. 


“If you have provided shelter for Jackson or know where he is, please let us know – or encourage Jackson to get in touch with his family.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact officers on 101 quoting reference number 0662 of 20 December 2020.

Petrol station worker threatened with gun in armed robbery

A woman was working in the Glasgow store when two men entered, threatened her with a handgun and demanded money.

Leo Patrizi via Getty Images
Police are investigating the armed raid on a petrol station in Glasgow.

Armed thieves threatened a worker with a gun during a petrol station raid in Glasgow.

The robbery took place within a premises on Edinburgh Road around 9pm on Friday night.

A woman was working in the store when two men entered, threatened her with a handgun and demanded money.

The pair then made off with a three figure sum of cash.


The first man is described as white, with a Glasgow accent. He was around 5ft11 of stocky build, wearing a black tammy hat, blue/grey zipper with a checked/lined pattern and blue Nike jogging bottoms. He also had a red scarf covering his face.

The second man is described as white, of slim build and was wearing a blue Lacoste tracksuit top which had a white striped across the body. He was wearing dark bottoms, dark trainers and had a scarf across face.

Police constable Robert Fox, said “Although nobody was injured, this was a terrifying incident for the woman, who was simply doing her job, and for another woman who was also in the petrol station at the time.

“Officers are currently going through CCTV footage, however would appeal for anyone who has any information to come forward.


“Were you in the area last night, do you have any dash-cam footage or did you see anybody matching the descriptions hanging around nearby?”

Anyone with any information should contact police via 101, quoting incident number 3297 of Friday 15 January 2021.

Alternatively you can contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Men armed with hammer and knife attack couple in their home

Victims taken to hospital for treatment following incident at property in North Ayrshire on Thursday.

© Google Maps 2020
Police: Couple attacked by two armed men in Irvine.

A couple have been attacked in their home by two men armed with a hammer and a knife.

The incident occurred in Seaton Terrace, Irvine, North Ayrshire, at around 10.10pm on Thursday.

Police Scotland said it is not known whether the attackers left in a vehicle or on foot.

Both are described as being around 6ft, and were wearing balaclavas. One of the men was wearing shorts.


The victims, aged in their 30s, were taken to Crosshouse Hospital near Kilmarnock for treatment.

The man remains in hospital in a stable condition.

Detective Constable Lee Duncan, of Saltcoats CID, said on Friday: “This couple were attacked within their own home, a place where they should feel safe.

“We are carrying out inquiries in the area but would appeal for anyone who was around Seaton Terrace late last night, or who may have dashcam or home security footage, to get in touch with us.


“You may have the information that can help us.”

Hunt for teen after woman sexually assaulted in street

Police have been carrying out enquiries and gathering CCTV footage to identify the youth responsible.

© Google Maps 2020
Chapelhall: The 37-year-old victim was targeted at around 8.10am on Friday.

Police are on the hunt for a teenager after a woman was sexually assaulted while walking along a North Lanarkshire street.

The 37-year-old victim was targeted at around 8.10am on Friday.

Police said the woman was walking along Main Street in Chapelhall, near to Honeywell Crescent, when she was approached by a boy who then touched her inappropriately over her clothing.

The youth then made off in the direction of Hazelfield Grove.


The suspect is believed to be aged between 13 and 17, and was around 5ft 10in.

He was wearing a black jacket with a hood, dark-coloured trousers and black gloves. He was also carrying a black rucksack.

Detective constable Derek Wilson said: “Officers have been carrying out enquiries in the area and gathering CCTV footage to establish more information to identify the youth responsible. 

“I would appeal to any witnesses, or anyone with information that may assist our enquiries, to contact Coatbridge Police Station through 101.”

Coronavirus outbreak at Police Scotland office in Glasgow

Contact tracing is being carried out at the force's premises in the Govan area of Glasgow.

© Google Maps 2020
Covid-19: An outbreak has been identified at the Helen Street office.

An outbreak of coronavirus has been identified at a Police Scotland office in Glasgow.

The force said it has been following health guidance since it learned of the reported cases at its premises in Helen Street, Govan.

Contact tracing is now being carried out to reach people who may have been infected in the outbreak.

A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: “Police Scotland is following Scottish Government and health guidance and where cases of coronavirus are identified, we work with the local health board and adhere to Test and Protect procedures.


“We have sufficient capacity and, as a national service, Police Scotland can flex resources should there be a requirement to do so.”

An NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde (NHSGGC) spokesman said: “Test and Protect is carrying out contact tracing of Covid-19 cases linked to a Police Scotland building at Helen Street, Glasgow.

“To respect and maintain patient confidentiality, no further details will be released, however we can confirm that those identified so far as cases or contacts have been advised to self-isolate.

“We would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to adhere rigorously to the general advice and requirements that are set out on NHS Inform and Scottish Government websites, including immediately self-isolating and seeking a test upon developing any symptoms.”

You're up to date

You've read today's top stories. Where would you like to go next?