Pupils across Scotland are preparing to make their long-awaited return to the classroom next week after months of uncertainty caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
The Scottish Government has given schools the go-ahead to reopen from August 11 and local authorities have implemented a range of measures to ensure a safe return for staff and students.
Social distancing will not be enforced between pupils, but secondary schools will be expected to make changes to keep older students apart.
Teachers must remain two metres from pupils when possible, but will not be routinely expected to wear face masks.
Blended learning models are in place in many parts of the country, as well as other measures such as staggered start times.
Here is a breakdown of how each council is planning to get back up and running:
- Aberdeen City Council – Staff members will review published guidance on August 10/11 and update risk assessments as necessary. Pupils will attend an orientation session on either August 12/13/14. The council anticipates all schools being open from August 17.
- Aberdeenshire Council – August 10/11 are in-service days for teachers. Schools will open to pupils from August 12. The five days holiday missed by bringing this year’s school term forward will be taken next June, which means there will be a seven-week summer break next year.
- Angus Council – August 11 is an in-service day and August 12/13 will be used to introduce and familiarise pupils to the new additional hygiene and distancing methods in place. All pupils will be back full time from August 17.
- Argyll and Bute Council – August 11 is an in-service day. Pupils will begin their return on Augutst 12 – but some schools may operate a phased return from August 12-15.
- Clackmannanshire Council – Teachers receive ‘essential training’ on August 11/12. Some pupils will be back at school on August 12 but it will be a phased return and not all pupils return on the same day.
- Dumfries and Galloway Council – All pupils will return to school on August 12. In-service days on August 10/11.
- Dundee City Council – August 10/11 are in-service days. Pupils will be phased back from 12 August. Primary 1 children will attend for mornings only as normal for the first three weeks of the term. They will start full time on August 31.
- East Ayrshire Council – Schools will undertake a ‘soft return’ from August 12-14. All pupils are then back full-time from August 17.
- East Dunbartonshire Council – In-service days on August 10/11. All pupils return on August 12. Some secondary school year groups will attend for shorter periods but all pupils will attend school each day.
- East Lothian Council – Staff return on August 10 and pupils are back from August 12. The nursery session will resume on August 17.
- East Renfrewshire Council – In-service days on August 10/11 and pupils back from August 12.
- Edinburgh City Council – School staff back from August 10 and pupils return on a phased basis from August 12.
- Falkirk Council – Staff return on August 10 while pupils are back on a phased basis from August 12. The council plans a return to full-time attendance from August 17.
- Fife Council -Nursery, primary aged children and special schools, including those who attend the additional support classes, will return on August 12. Secondary school pupils return on a phased basis from August 12-14 and there will be a full return on August 17.
- Glasgow City Council – In-service day for all teachers and support staff in schools and nurseries on August 10/11. Primary and secondary school pupils returning in groups from August 12.
- Highland Council – Schools will open to pupils for a phased return on August 12. A full return is anticipated by August 18.
- Inverclyde Council – Primary, secondary and additional support needs schools reopen from August 12 on a phased basis. All pupils return full time from August 17.
- Midlothian Council – Primary schools will return on 12 August. Secondary schools will have returned full time by August 18 at the very latest.
- Moray Council – In-service days on August 10/11. Pupils return on August 12.
- North Ayrshire Council – All schools and early learning and childcare centres will reopen from August 12. Some phasing may be in place initially but it is anticipated all pupils will have returned by August 14.
- North Lanarkshire Council – In-service day on August 11 while pupils return on a phased basis from August 12.
- Orkney Islands Council – Pupils will be introduced back into schools from August 12. The phased period will cover August 12-14 for the majority of pupils in Primary 1 to S6. Each pupil will attend at least one of these three days. All pupils expected to be back full-time by August 17.
- Perth and Kinross Council – Teachers back for in-service training on August 10. Pupils will then start returning to school in phases from August 12 with a view to everyone being back full-time from August 17.
- Renfrewshire Council – Teachers and staff will return from August 10. Pupils will start to return to schools and council-run nurseries from August 12, with a phased return for pupils for the first three days. All pupils will be back full-time by August 14.
- Scottish Borders Council – Schools will reopen to pupils on August 11 with measures to support P1 and S1 transitions throughout the first week.
- Shetland Islands Council – Pupils to return on a phased basis from August 11-14
- South Ayrshire Council – Schools will reopen on August 12 but the first three days will be a phased return. All pupils will return full time from August 17.
- South Lanarkshire Council – In-service day on August 11. Pupils return on a phased basis from August 12-14 – schools will let parents know what days their children should attend. All children will be back full time from August 17.
- Stirling Council – Schools and nurseries reopen on August 12. Contingency plans are in place for a blended learning model.
- West Dunbartonshire Council – Children and young people will return to school and early learning centres on a phased basis for the first three days of the new term, starting on August 12. All pupils will be back in school from August 17.
- West Lothian Council – Pupils return on a phased basis from August 12. Pupils who are not in attendance at school on the first couple of days back will be provided with home learning. All pupils will be back from August 14.
- Western Isles Council – Pupils will begin to return from August 12 but there may be a degree of phasing over the first few days, especially in relation to arrangements for P1 and S1.