A Conservative trade minister has been sacked from Government after allegations of misconduct.
Conor Burns has been asked to leave with “immediate effect” following a complaint of “serious misconduct”, No 10 said.
The Tory minister has had the party whip suspended pending an investigation into allegations of “inappropriate behaviour”, the Whips’ Office said.
Burns was appointed minister for trade policy at the Department for International Trade on September 7.
His sacking comes just a month on and only 31 days into Liz Truss’ new administration.
A No 10 spokesperson said: “Following a complaint of serious misconduct, the Prime Minister has asked Conor Burns MP to leave the Government with immediate effect.
“The Prime Minister took direct action on being informed of this allegation and is clear that all ministers should maintain the high standards of behaviour – as the public rightly expects.”
A spokesman for the Whips’ Office said: “We have suspended the whip pending investigation into allegations of inappropriate behaviour earlier this week.
“We take all such allegations extremely seriously. The Prime Minister has been clear that the highest standards in public life must be upheld.”
The Bournemouth West MP has said he will “fully co-operate” with an investigation into allegations of inappropriate behaviour made against him but accused the Tory party of rushing to judgment.
“Earlier I received a call from the chief whip Wendy Morton,” he said.
“Ms Morton informed me that a complaint had been received about me and she had passed it to Conservative Campaign Headquarters to investigate. I was not given any information about the complaint nor was I asked to provide any information.
“On the basis of this complaint Ms Morton told me that the Whip was being withdrawn and that I was standing down as trade minister. I will fully cooperate with the Party’s enquiry and look forward to clearing my name.
“I hope the party will be as quick to conduct their enquiry as they were to rush to judgement.”