Scotland’s live events sector will receive a £10m investment to help businesses and venues stay afloat while a restart date for the industry remains unknown.
Earlier this month, the UK Government announced a package for the arts sector that would see £97m given to Scotland through the Barnett formula.
And the Scottish Government has now announced that £10m will go towards supporting live events.
Culture secretary Fiona Hyslop said the funding is intended to give direct support to venues and businesses in their supply chains, as well as support changes that need to be made to meet social distancing standards upon reopening.
Ms Hyslop said: “We’ve worked closely and constructively with the sector on the challenges they face and they have brought forward some creative ideas on how they can begin to operate safely. In addition to providing immediate support, some of this funding will look to bolster innovation and aid the longer-term recovery of the events industry.”
No date has yet been set for the restart of live music or other cultural performances, although drive-in events were allowed to start on Wednesday.
Information has not yet been released on the application process, but is expected “in due course” from the Scottish Government.
Peter Duthie, chairman of the Event Industry Advisory Group and chief executive of the Scottish Events Campus in Glasgow, welcomed the “good news”.
He added: “Additional funding from government for this important sector is very welcome and much needed, both by the event organisers and the wider supply chain businesses who are being hit exceptionally hard by the ongoing effect of an extended period of lockdown.
“Scotland’s event industry has worked hard to build a world-class reputation for the nation as the perfect stage for events; we must do everything in our power to protect that.”