Downing Street has apologised to the Queen over two parties that took place the night before the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral.
The Telegraph newspaper reported that No 10 staff partied whilst the Queen was preparing to grieve alone at the funeral of her late husband in April last year.
According to its reports, staff drank and at points danced into the early hours, with one eyewitness alleging that one person in attendance broke Boris Johnson’s son’s garden swing, whilst another attendee was sent to the Co-op with a suitcase to buy booze.
The Prime Minister was not at the April 16 party, it is understood.
On Friday, the Prime Minister’s former director of communications James Slack apologised for the “anger and hurt” that one of the events – a leaving do held for him – had caused.
A spokesman for the Prime Minister has now confirmed that No 10 has said sorry to the Palace.
The spokesman said: “It is deeply regrettable that this took place at a time of national mourning and No 10 has apologised to the Palace.
“You heard from the PM this week, he’s recognised No 10 should be held to the highest standards, and take responsibility for things we did not get right.”