Scotland’s finance secretary has said it is “disappointing and confusing” as to why viable alternatives for the McVitie’s factory are not being fully considered by the site’s owners.
It comes after pladis confirmed that it will proceed with plans to close the factory in Tollcross, which will place nearly 500 jobs at jeopardy.
In making their intentions on Wednesday, the firm said that it had “carefully” reviewed alternative proposals put forward, but indicated that they “did not present a viable alternative to the original proposal”.
Operations at the factory are now expected to cease in the second half of 2022.
Kate Forbes, the country’s finance secretary, on Thursday expressed her disappointment at the move.
She said that the chief executive of the company, Salman Amin, had given “firm assurances” to First Minister Nicola Sturgeon and deputy first minister John Swinney that a proposal put forward by an action group would be considered.
A huge amount of work has gone into finding an alternative to closure, with trade unions, Glasgow CC and Scot Gov working together,” Forbes wrote on Twitter.
“It’s extremely disappointing and confusing as to why viable alternatives are not being fully considered by the company.
“After weeks of hard work by the action group, the Chief Exec of Pladis gave firm assurances to the First Minister and Deputy First Minister in July that the company was committed to working with us to consider the proposal submitted by the action group.”
John Swinney had earlier said the Scottish Government remains committed to working with pladis to find an alternative to closure.
“Alongside our enterprise agencies we are currently engaging with Pladis to understand why this announcement has been made and what it means for those employed at McVities.
“We remain absolutely committed to working with them to find an alternative to closure.
“Our overriding priority remains the welfare of the staff and their families and we want to reassure them that we will leave no stone unturned in trying to find a positive outcome.
“Should Pladis decide to reject the proposals of the action group and proceed with closure, the Scottish Government will put steps in place to support staff who may be facing redundancy.”
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country