Matt Hancock has announced he is standing down just days after he returned to the House of Commons following his stint in the I’m a Celeb jungle.
The former health secretary confirmed the decision by posting a video on TikTok – where he has attracted a following of more than 116,000 people.
He said he would not stand in the next general election and instead was going to explore “new ways to communicate with people of all ages and from all backgrounds”.
Last week, Hancock spoke in Parliament for the first time since coming third in I’m a Celeb as he opened a debate on his Dyslexia Screening and Teacher Bill.
I have today announced I will not be standing at the next General Election I look forward to exploring new ways to communicate with people of all ages and from all backgrounds♬ original sound – Matt Hancock
Hancock, who was diagnosed as dyslexic when he was at university, said he was seeking to change the law so that every child is screened for dyslexia in primary schools.
The 44-year-old is the latest Conservative MP to confirm he will not stand in the next election.
On Friday, former UK health secretary Sajid Javid announced he will not stand to be an MP again.
Douglass Ross, leader of the Scottish Conservatives, who is both an MSP and the MP for Moray, has also said he will not stand again at Westminster in order to focus on Holyrood.
Others include Chloe Smith, MP for Norwich North, Dehenna Davison, MP for Bishop Auckland, Gary Streeter, MP for South West Devon, William Wragg, MP for Hazel Grove, Sir Mike Penning, MP for Hemel Hempstead, Adam Afriyie, MP for Windsor, Sir Charles Walker, MP for Broxbourne, and Crispin Blunt, MP for Reigate.
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country