A pilot scheme that provides first-time buyers with loans of up to £25,000 to help them get on the property ladder is being continued next year, the housing minister said.
The Scottish Government still has to fully evaluate the First Home Fund, but Kevin Stuart said it had been a “huge success”.
Money available for the scheme has already been increased from £150m to £200m, as a result of changes in the mortgage market because of Covid-19.
Would-be homeowners still have a week to apply for the first round of funding under the scheme, which requires buyers to repay the Scottish Government loan when their home is sold.
Applications close at 6pm on Friday, October 2, and ministers expect the initiative will help more than 8000 people buy their first home by the end of this year.
The fund can be used when buying a new-build or older property, and Stewart said: “The pilot of our First Home Fund has been a huge success, helping thousands of people own their first home.
“The fund has been especially important since property sales resumed over the summer, and we invested a further £50m in July to help ensure that first-time buyers could still access the market despite changes to mortgages caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
“While the scheme is almost fully subscribed for 2020-21, I am pleased to say that I will reopen the pilot for the next financial year, and look forward to announcing further details of this in due course.”