Downing Street has cancelled any plans to hold a Christmas party this year.
It comes amidst anger over claims No 10 hosted a festive bash last year whilst Covid restrictions were in place.
Despite the cancellation, others in England have been encouraged to go ahead with their own events.
The issue of Christmas parties was raised with the Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s spokesman on Friday.
Asked about whether Downing Street would be having a party, the spokesman indicated it would not go ahead due to increased workload because of coronavirus.
He said: “I think we’ve made clear since the latest situation with Omicron, obviously that’s taking up great deal of time at the moment.
“There’s no plans for that in No 10.”
It signals another U-turn from No 10, after the spokesman on Monday said it was Downing Street’s intention for a party to go ahead.
But, the plans have now been scrapped – just two days after a leaked tape which showed aides joking about a “fictitious” party held in December 2020, which led to the resignation of Allegra Stratton.
Asked when the decision to cancel this year’s party was taken, the spokesman said: “Following the decision on Plan B and the latest data that we’ve got.”