An MSP, who has been charged over possession of indecent images, has denied claims he hid a camera in a Holyrood toilet.
Scottish Labour’s Colin Smyth was suspended by the party following a raid on his home on August 5.
Police arrested the 52-year-old, and he was charged in connection with possession of indecent images. He is due to appear at Dumfries Sheriff Court at a later date.
It is understood he is now facing fresh charges following allegations a secret camera was placed in toilets at the Scottish Parliament.
Smyth refuted the claims in a statement released on Friday, saying the allegations came as an “utter shock”.
In an email to staff, Holyrood officials said police had carried out a full sweep of all toilets and changing rooms in the building and no recording devices were found.
Smyth’s security pass for the Scottish Parliament was rescinded amid the ongoing investigation.
Officials acknowledged “deeply concerning reports” of the story in the media would cause “unease and anxiety” for those working in the Holyrood building and added “enhanced additional checks” to existing security sweeps of the building will take place going forward.

Smyth said he was fully cooperating with the ongoing investigation, and slammed Police Scotland for releasing details about the probe, which he said forced his family to relocate.
“The speculation, and the recent decision by the police to publicly release details of their ongoing inquiries along with my home address has been devastating and has taken a serious toll on my health,” he said.
“After my address was published with no warning to my family, I felt I had no choice but to move away to protect them. That has also meant losing the local NHS critical support I had been receiving for the past few weeks, making an already difficult time even more distressing.”
He added: “I would therefore ask that the privacy of myself, but above all my family and friends, is respected while this matter is resolved. Having this hanging over them is especially overwhelming “.
The Crown Office has said no court has been set yet.
A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “On Tuesday, August 5, 2025, officers executed a warrant at a property on Marchfield Avenue, Dumfries.
“A 52-year-old man was arrested and charged in connection with possession of indecent images. He is due to appear at Dumfries Sheriff Court at a later date.”
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country
