Pupils have been warned against bringing aerosol cans and lighters to a Perth school after a student suffered significant burns due to misuse of a canister.
The incident happened at lunchtime on Thursday, March 24 at a nearby reservoir.
It follows two other occasions where the school has had to remove deodorant cans and lighters from pupils.
Perth Academy’s headteacher has written to parents and guardians asking for their support in checking school bags and ensuring pupils do not bring aerosols or lighters to school.
Pupils are being asked to bring a roll-on or solid form of deodorant as opposed to a deodorant spray.
Pupils are also being asked to stay on campus.
Last Friday, Perth Academy headteacher Eleanor Paul wrote to parents/guardians and said: “Yesterday, one of our junior pupils suffered significant burns caused by the misuse of an aerosol canister.
“This happened off site in the nearby reservoir at lunchtime. There have been two other instances recently where we have removed deodorant cans and lighters from pupils who were attempting to misuse them.
“Please check your child’s belongings before they come to school and ensure they are not bringing these items to school. If your child routinely carries deodorant they should switch to roll-on or solid options instead please.
“The vast majority of our young people act safely and responsibly however I am sure you will agree that we would not want any other young person or their family to have to experience something similar and so I would ask for your full support in this new rule.
“I would also ask that with their safety in mind you encourage your child to remain on campus at lunchtimes.”
Local councillors have wished the pupil a speedy recovery and welcomed the “decisive action” taken by the headteacher in response.
Conservative councillor and lifelong learning convener Caroline Shiers said: “I fully support the letter from Mrs Paul. I wish the young person a speedy recovery and hope that this incident might highlight the dangers of this activity.
“I would encourage parents to have a discussion with their young people and to encourage them to be aware of the dangers that this type of behaviour can bring.”
Perth Academy is in the Perth City South ward.
Perth City South SNP councillor Sheila McCole said: “This is a very distressing incident for the young person involved and their family, and I wish the pupil involved a speedy recovery.
“Although this accident happened off-site from the school grounds. I welcome the decisive action taken by the headteacher, Mrs Paul, to alert all pupils and parents to the risk associated with aerosol containers and open flames.
“The pupils I meet are invariably responsible young people who I’m confident will respond accordingly to the letter from their headteacher.”
Lib Dem Perth City South councillor Liz Barrett added: “I am deeply shocked by the irresponsible and dangerous actions of a very small minority of pupils, and I completely agree with the prompt action by the headteacher. I also hope that the pupil involved makes a speedy recovery.”
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country