The train line between Aberdeen and Dundee is to reopen three months after a fatal derailment.
Three men died when a ScotRail service struck a landslip and came off the tracks at a bridge near Stonehaven on August 12. Extensive damage was caused to the tracks, bridge and embankment at the site in Carmont.
Network Rail said engineers had been working “round the clock” to repair the track and introduce new safety measures, allowing train services to resume on Tuesday, November 3.
Driver Brett McCullough, conductor Donald Dinnie and passenger Christopher Stuchbury were killed when the 6.38am Aberdeen-Glasgow service derailed.
It was travelling back to Aberdeen after a landslide further down the line blocked its path following a night of heavy rain. An accident investigation is ongoing.
Alex Hynes, managing director of Scotland’s Railway, said: “We continue to work closely with accident investigators as we seek to learn the lessons of this tragedy and make our railway as safe as possible for our people and our passengers.
“Our thoughts continue to be with the families and friends of Brett, Donald and Christopher and with the other passengers and colleagues who were affected by the accident.
“Our engineers have been working around-the-clock to repair and reopen the railway and we thank all our customers and lineside neighbours for the understanding they have shown during this difficult and distressing event.”