Councillors may serve disappointment next week as plans for a new drive-thru McDonald’s in Aberdeen are expected to be refused.
The global fast food giant had hoped to build the restaurant at the former site of Rosehill Day Centre on Ashgrove Road West.
McDonald’s unveiled plans to demolish the building that was previously used as a walk-through Covid testing centre last year.
The site lies on the junction with Anderson Drive and is located across the road from the Aberdeen Ambulance Station.
The fast food chain said the “multi-million-pound” project could not be completed anywhere else in the city.
It had looked at other potential sites including Cornhill shopping centre, Woodside and the Haudagain retail park.
But council chiefs have said the drive-thru should be refused ahead of a planning meeting on Thursday.
They argue the restaurant would “largely serve those from outside the area” and not those nearby.
Concerns were also raised about removing at least 30 trees to make way for the new McDonald’s.
Planners said the trees “contribute to the character of the wider area, and contribute towards nature conservation and biodiversity”.
They also said the development doesn’t meet council policy and is contrary to the proposed Aberdeen local development plan.
The Scottish Ambulance Service objected to the new drive-thru.
It was concerned that increased traffic would have a “detrimental effect” on its response times to life-threatening call-outs.
The service also feared the new restaurant would raise the risk of accidents occurring as ambulances drive out of the station.
Local residents spoke out against the plans too.
More than 80 people wrote to the council opposing the new restaurant while just four gave their support.
Residents raised concerns about the impact extra traffic in the area would have on the Scottish Ambulance Service.
They were also concerned about an increase in noise and litter, and the impact the new McDonald’s could have on the health of pupils at nearby Northfield Academy.
Aberdeen Central MSP Kevin Stewart also objected to the plan.
He said the restaurant could “place an unacceptable risk to ambulance response times to emergencies across Aberdeen”.
But drive-thru supporters said it would bring new jobs and add to the food choice in the city.
Plans for the new eatery were submitted to the city council in May.
McDonald’s said the new restaurant would create more than 120 full and part-time jobs.
Seating would be available for 76 diners while an outdoor play area would give youngsters the chance to “climb and explore”.
Parking has also been proposed for up to 50 cars along with provision for motorbikes and bicycles.
But if the plan is approved, it would be the fast food chain’s sixth restaurant in Aberdeen.