Residents evacuated after gas leak causes 'wilful' fire to break out

The fire service were called to contain the incident, which involved a gas meter and a pipe.

Peterhead Kirk Street residents evacuated after ‘wilful’ fire caused by gas leak broke out in early hours Google Maps

Residents on a street in Peterhead were evacuated in the early hours of Saturday morning after a gas leak caused a fire to break out.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) were called to an address of a local business on Kirk Street at around 12.35am on February 4 following reports of a blaze. 

Three appliances were sent to the scene to contain the incident which involved a gas meter and a pipe, and residents in the surrounding area were evacuated from their properties while the road was closed.

The fire was extinguished shortly after 2am and residents were then able to return to their homes.

Police have now launched an investigation into the fire, which is being treated as wilful.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “Around 1am on Saturday, February 4, 2023, police were called to assist the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service at the scene of a fire in the Kirk Street area of Peterhead. 

“A number of nearby properties were evacuated and the road was closed for an hour, until the fire was extinguished and gas leak was capped.

“The incident is being treated as wilful and enquiries are ongoing.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code