Perth’s Bonfire Night firework display will be shorter and have a smaller bonfire despite the event looking set to be more expensive than last year.
On Monday, September 18, the Perth Common Good Fund Committee was asked to consider allocating a total grant of £25,201 towards this year’s event organised by Perth and Strathearn 200 Round Table.
The figure – which is over £3,000 more than in previous years – raised some concern and councillors have requested quieter fireworks be used throughout next year’s display.
In February, Perth Common Good Fund Committee provisionally allocated £20,000 for this year’s display, however – based on the overall cost of £25,201 – the committee when it met was asked to consider a further grant of £5,201.
In May, Perth and Kinross Council agreed restrictions on fireworks displays and the annual Bonfire Night display on Perth’s South Inch was approved as one of a limited number of fireworks events permitted on council-owned land.
The committee last year requested an environmental impact assessment be conducted ahead of this year’s event.
Consequently Perth and Strathearn 200 Round Table proposed reducing the display from 20 minutes to 15 minutes, reducing the size of the bonfire by 25%, starting the display with lower noise fireworks and music before building up noise levels during the shortened show and social media posts “recommending that attendees walk or use public transport” to get to the event.
The event is expected to attract 7,000 people from Perth and Kinross and beyond.
It is free of charge but members of the public can leave a donation that is distributed to local causes.
At Monday’s meeting PKC’s community planning team leader Lee Haxton told councillors: “Over the last number of years – with the exception of the years when it had to be cancelled for Covid – there has been an incremental increase in the ask and last year the approved amount of funding was a little over £22,000 but in actual fact the total cost was just under £19,000.”
Convener Andrew Parrott proposed the committee allocate “up to £22,000”.
The depute provost said he arrived at this figure by “adding roughly 10% inflation to the £20,000 figure previously awarded”.
Councillor Liz Barrett asked that next year a request be made to “stick to the lower noise” fireworks and not build up noise levels.
Councillor Peter Barrett also raised concerns about items such as £1,000 for two four by four vehicles for two days which he suggested was “particularly high”. He suggested organisers could perhaps use council or their members’ vehicles.
The recommendations raised were agreed to be put to the organisers and a grant of up to £22,000 approved.