Man ‘argued with girlfriend night before murder’, court hears

Keith Rizzo, 23, is accused of killing Neomi Smith at her flat in Brechin last summer.

A man argued with his girlfriend the night before he allegedly murdered her, a court heard.

Keith Rizzo and Neomi Smith were said to have cut a night at a pub short to return to her flat in Brechin, Angus.

Rizzo is charged with killing the 23-year-old there on June 9 last year.

Jurors also heard claims Rizzo had weeks earlier pinned Miss Smith against a wall until she was knocked out.

ADVERT

The 23-year-old is on trial at the High Court in Glasgow, where he denies murder.

On Monday, the couple’s friend Kirsty McLeish gave evidence.

She told how she met the pair heading to Miss Smith’s flat around 11pm on June 8.

Prosecutor Duncan McPhie asked the 22-year-old if she spoke to Miss Smith.

ADVERT

She replied: “I asked how she and Keith were doing. She told me they were arguing quite a lot and that they were going home to have a break from the pub.”

Mr McPhie: “What was her mood like?”

Miss McLeish: “Still happy, but annoyed because they had been arguing.”

Prosecutors claim Rizzo murdered Miss Smith the next day.

The charge includes accusations that he compressed her neck as well as repeatedly struck her on the head and body with knives.

Rizzo also faces a separate charge of earlier assaulting Miss Smith to her injury and danger of life.

Miss McLeish told the trial she was with the couple at a hotel in Brechin last May 10.

ADVERT

She and Miss Smith then chatted about what allegedly happened the previous night.

Miss McLeish said: “She said her and Keith had been out at a pub in Brechin. He had got drunk and she remained sober.

“They had started arguing and gone home. Once at her flat, he had pressed her up against a wall by her throat until she passed out.

“She said once she had come to, they then went to bed.”

While with Miss Smith, Miss McLeish claimed to have noticed “bruises” on her neck.

Miss McLeish then alleged there was another incident around a week later.

She recalled being at Miss Smith’s flat when Rizzo returned shouting his girlfriend was an “embarrassment”.

Miss McLeish then claimed there was “very loud” arguing between the couple after Miss Smith told Rizzo to get out.

The witness alleged she went on to see Miss Smith’s mirrored wardrobe had been smashed.

Jurors were told Rizzo also hurled his iPhone towards Miss Smith.

Miss McLeish said: “I asked why he had done that. He sat on the sofa with his head in his hands.

“He started telling Neomi he loved her and that he did not want it to be like this.”

Rizzo claimed he was going to kill himself. Miss McLeish alleged she was then hit by him.

After initially hearing the couple continue to row in the stairwell, the witness recalled it going “very quiet”.

Miss McLeish said: “I saw Neomi sitting against the wall as if she was just coming to from passing out. She was struggling to realise I was there.

“She had a massive bump on her head.”

Rizzo’s friend Cameron Saunders later told the court how the accused “stormed” out of a pub last June 8 after spotting Miss Smith dancing with another man.

The 19-year-old said: “They were bumping bums.

“They were dancing away for a while when Keith said something along the lines of ‘that’s enough’.”

Mr Saunders said Rizzo appeared “angry” as he looked towards his partner and the other man.

He added: “He then pushed the table with some bottles on it that fell.

“There was a bottle left and he hit it across the table.”

It was claimed Rizzo soon exited Hudson’s Bar in Brechin.

Mr McPhie asked: “What did Neomi Smith do after Keith Rizzo stormed out the pub?”

Mr Saunders responded: “I think she was crying and saying ‘this is what I have to put up with’.”

Rizzo denies the charges.

The trial, before Lady Rae, continues.


Coronavirus: Another 18 Omicron cases recorded in Scotland

Scottish Government data shows one coronavirus-linked death and 2067 new Covid cases in the past 24 hours.

nopparit via IStock
A total of 48 people have contracted the Omicron variant in Scotland.

A total of 18 new cases of the Omicron coronavirus variant have been recorded in Scotland in the past 24 hours, taking the overall number to 48.

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde had the largest rise, with 12 more cases, taking its total to 23.

NHS Lanarkshire recorded four new cases in 24 hours and has 13 overall.

One more case was confirmed in the Forth Valley health board area, taking the total to six.

ADVERT

A case of the new variant was recorded in NHS Lothian for the first time. Case numbers in NHS Highland and NHS Grampian remain at three and two respectively.

Scotland has also recorded one coronavirus-linked death and 2067 new cases in the past 24 hours, according to the latest data.

The Scottish Government said Public Health Scotland is aware of an “ongoing processing issue with UK Government lab tests which may impact on cases and tests” in the daily figures and investigations are under way to resolve the problem.

The death toll under the daily measure, of people who first tested positive for the virus within the previous 28 days, is 9649, but the Scottish Government said registry office are generally closed at the weekend which can impact figures.

ADVERT

The daily test positivity rate was 9.6%, up from 7.6% the previous day.

There were 586 people in hospital with recently confirmed Covid-19 as of Saturday night and, of these, 45 were in intensive care.

So far, 4,352,104 people have received their first dose of a Covid-19 vaccination, 3,958,162 have had a second, and 1,859,735 have been given a third dose or booster.

Body found in the search for missing 28-year-old man

The family of Joel McDiarmid has been informed of the discovery.

Police Scotland
Joel McDiarmid went missing in the Bathgate area last month.

A body has been found in the search for a 28-year-old man who went missing in West Lothian last month.

The family of Joel McDiarmid from Bathgate has been informed of the discovery, although formal identification is yet to take place.

There are no suspicious circumstances and a report will be sent to the Procurator Fiscal.


Mountain rescue teams battle blizzard after man injured in avalanche

They assisted a man who injured his leg during an avalanche.

Cairngorm MT via Facebook

A climber who injured his leg during an avalanche in the Scottish Highlands was rescued as mountain teams faced heavy blizzard conditions.

In dramatic footage posted by Cairngorm MRT, rescuers can be seen battling the elements to assist the man.

The climbers were able to self-rescue down to the floor of Coire an t-Sneachda where they were met by rescuers and stretchered back to the ski area.

The footage was captured on Saturday, with multiple reports of avalanches.

ADVERT

In a Facebook post, Cairngorm MRT wrote: “MRT just back from a call out for an male with a lower leg injury sustained during an avalanche. The climbers were able to self rescue down to the coire floor, where they were met by team members and stretchered back to the Cairngorm ski area.

“There were multiple reports of avalanches in Coire an t-Sneachda this afternoon.

“Many thanks to Cairngorm Mountain for their assistance duringWe rely on public donations to fund the work that we do, if you would like to contribute, you can also go to our website – https://cmrt.org.uk

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “Around 12.50pm on Saturday, December 4, we received a report of two people falling in an avalanche at Coire A S-Sneachda.

ADVERT

“Officers and the Cairngorms Mountain Rescue Team were dispatched, and the man and woman were later traced at a nearby rescue post.”

“The man was stretchered off the hill and transported to Raigmore Hospital for treatment to a leg injury.”


Teenagers arrested after 21-year-old man stabbed in city centre

The incident took place on Saturday afternoon.

darrensp via IStock
Police say that the teenagers will appear in court at a later date, whilst the investigation continues.

Two teenagers have been arrested and charged by police after a 21-year-old was stabbed in Glasgow City Centre.

Officers responded to a report of a man being stabbed on Ingram Street at around 3.30pm on Saturday, December 4.

The man was taken to Glasgow Royal Infirmary and remains there with “serious injuries”.

Police say that the teenagers will appear in court at a later date, whilst the investigation continues.

ADVERT

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “We were called to a report of a man being stabbed on Ingram Street around 3.30pm on Saturday 4 December 2021.

“A 21-year-old man was taken to Glasgow Royal Infirmary, where he remains with serious injuries.

“Two 17-year-old males have been arrested and charged in connection with the incident, and will appear in court at a later date.

“The investigation is continuing.”


Growing concern for missing man after belongings found at loch

Lawrence Penswick was last seen on Babylon Road in Bellshill in the early hours of Friday morning.

Police Scotland
Lawrence Penswick was last seen in the early hours of Friday morning.

Police in North Lanarkshire are appealing for help to find a missing man whose belongings were recovered near Strathclyde Loch.

Officers are looking for 57-year-old Lawrence Penswick, who was last seen around 2.40am on Friday at Babylon Road in Bellshill.

It’s believed he has travelled to Strathclyde Country Park after some of his belongings were recovered near the south side of Strathclyde Loch.

Lawrence is described as a black male, 5ft 10 inches tall, of a medium build and with short black hair.

ADVERT

He was last seen wearing a grey “bubble” style jacket and a dark-coloured baseball cap.

His family are growing increasingly concerned for his welfare and anyone with information is asked to call 101, citing reference number 2311 of 4 December.

More on:

Former Scotland rugby captain Gary Callander dies aged 62

Callander made six international appearances and captained the side on five of those occasions.

SNS Group
Gary Callander had been living with pancreatic cancer.

Former Scotland captain Gary Callander has died at the age 62.

Callander, who had been living with pancreatic cancer, made six international appearances, skippering the team on five of those occasions.

He also captained Kelso, whose president Scott Forbes, as they announced Callander’s death on Sunday, said his “contribution to the history of the club cannot be overstated”.

With Callander as skipper, Kelso claimed a first Border League title in 50 years in the 1985-86 season.

ADVERT

He subsequently led the club to the Scottish First Division Championship in 1987-88.

Callander also won secured five Melrose Sevens winners’ medals with the club.

Forbes added in Kelso’s statement on their website: “He was a captain, leader and an outstanding rugby player. He will be sorely missed by his ‘rugby family’.

“Our thoughts are with Gary’s family and friends at this sad and difficult time. May he rest in peace.”


Three people in hospital after multi-vehicle smash on the A9

The two men and a woman were taken to Raigmore Hospital.

© Google Maps 2020
Police have appealed for information who may have information about the incident to contact them.

Two men and a woman were taken to hospital following a three-vehicle crash in the Highlands.

The collision took place on Friday, December 3, at around 6.36pm on the A9 at Cuach, north of Dalwhinnie.

A Black Vauxhall Zafira, a red Audi A3 and a silver Volkswagon Touran were the vehicles involved.

The two men and the woman were taken to Raigmore Hospital where they were treated for their injuries.

ADVERT

None are believed to be life threatening. 

Police are now appealing for anyone who may have information about the incident to contact them.

Sergeant Neil MacDonald of Roads Policing Unit said: “Our enquiries into the cause of this crash are ongoing and we are appealing to anyone who was in the area at the time to please get in touch.

“In particular, we are keen to speak to anyone who saw the cars or who may have dash-cam footage that can help with our investigation.

ADVERT

“If you can help, please contact us on 101, quoting reference 2819 of December 3.”


Man arrested over ‘driving offences’ following pensioner’s death

Police say a man was arrested and then released pending further enquiries after the death of Douglas Forbes.

Police Scotland
Police are investigating the death of Douglas Forbes.

A man has been arrested in relation to driving offences following the death of a pensioner in Edinburgh.

Police Scotland said a 69-year-old man was arrested ater Douglas Forbes, 78, was found fatally injured at Academy Park in the Leith area of the city at around 8.50pm on Thursday night.

The man under arrest has since been released and enquiries are ongoing.

Forbes was pronounced dead at the scene on Thursday.

ADVERT

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “Following the death of 78-year-old Douglas Forbes, at Academy Park in Edinburgh, on Thursday 2 December, we can confirm a 69-year old man has been arrested in relation to driving offences.

“He’s been released pending further enquiries and the investigation continues.”

Anyone with information can contact 101, quoting incident number 3329 of 2 December 2021.


Final push to restore power to homes impacted by Storm Arwen

Around 30 properties were left without power overnight on Saturday.

STV News
Significant damage was caused by Storm Arwen, with many homes left without power for several days.

Work is being undertaken to connect the final few homes in Scotland left without power as a result of Storm Arwen.

Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN) said that bad weather had hampered progress for repair teams on Saturday, which left around 30 properties without power overnight.

It comes after more than 100 military personnel were deployed to assist those without power.

Mark Rough, SSEN’s director of operations, said that field staff are working to reconnect the final homes “as quickly and safely as possible”.

ADVERT

“The weather conditions have been really challenging for our teams today, but we are continuing to work throughout Saturday night to safely connect the final few homes,” he said.

“Our localised network has sustained significant damage and through a combination of repairs and mobile generation we will continue to work until all power is restored.

“We have over 700 field staff working with support from other network operators and contractors from across Great Britain, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, and everyone is making a real effort to reconnect the final homes as quickly and safely as possible.”

“I’d like to thank customers for their continued patience and apologise for the disruption caused.

ADVERT

“We continue to work closely with local authorities and local resilience partnerships in Aberdeenshire to support welfare checks to those who remain off supply.” 


You're up to date

You've read today's top stories. Where would you like to go next?