A major search operation is under way for a passenger who reportedly fell overboard from a cruise ship currently docked in Dundee.
Coastguard and RNLI crews, assisted by Police Scotland, launched a search and rescue operation in the city’s port from around 8.35am on Friday.
The man is feared to have fallen from the Ambassador Ambition in the North Sea, 40 nautical miles from Anstruther, before it arrived in the city on Friday.
Guests on board the ship were asked to remain on board while a ship-wide search was carried out. They have since been allowed to disembark.
The man’s family have been notified, police confirmed.
The ship had been on a two-week solar eclipse tour of Shetland, Iceland and the Faroe Islands.
A search involving RNLI crews from Anstruther and Broughty Ferry, and Coastguard Rescue Teams from Dundee, Arbroath and St Andrews remains ongoing.
A statement from Ambassador Cruise Line said: “Ambassador Cruise Line can confirm that the Captain of Ambition reported a missing person incident earlier this morning.
“The ship, which is now berthed in Dundee, was on passage from Lerwick to Dundee when the alarm was raised after it was found that a guest was not where they were expected to be. Guests on board have been kept informed of developments by the Captain and a thorough ship-wide search was carried out on arrival in Dundee. Having initially been asked to remain on board while the search was carried out, guests have now been cleared to disembark.
“Ambassador follows stringent search and rescue protocols in line with international maritime safety standards. We continue to work in close collaboration with the Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC), The Maritime and Coastguard Agency, HM Coastguard and Police Scotland as the investigation continues.
“Ambassador remains committed to the safety and wellbeing of all our guests and crew. As a result of this development, today’s turnaround operation in Dundee was slightly delayed. However, guests due to travel on board Ambition should make their way to the port as per their embarkation schedule.
“We are unable to provide further details at this time due to this incident forming part of an ongoing police investigation.”
A HM Coastguard spokesperson said: “HM Coastguard is coordinating the response to a report made at about 8.35am on August 21 of a man overboard from a passenger vessel in waters about 36 nautical miles east of Arbroath.
“An HM Coastguard helicopter and aeroplane have been sent as well as RNLI lifeboats from Anstruther and Broughty Ferry, and Coastguard Rescue Teams from Dundee, Arbroath and St Andrews. A commercial search and rescue helicopter and several nearby vessels are assisting with searches.
“The passenger vessel has berthed at Dundee.”
An RNLI spokesperson said: “All-weather lifeboats from Anstruther and Broughty Ferry RNLI launched shortly after 9.30am today (Friday, August 21) to support HM Coastguard in a search for a missing person overboard from a passenger vessel approximately 36 nautical miles east of Arbroath.”
A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “Around 8.55am on Friday, August 21, 2026, police received a report a man had gone overboard from a cruise ship in the North Sea, 40 nautical miles from Anstruther, Fife.
“A search and rescue operation is currently being carried out by HM Coastguard, but the man remains missing. His next of kin is aware.
“Police enquiries remain ongoing”
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

Getty Images



















