Locals thanked amid investigation into death of 'deeply loved' mum

Jill Barclay, 47, was found dead in Aberdeen at around 3.30am on September 17.

Locals thanked for support amid police probe into death of Aberdeen mum Jill Barclay STV News/Police Scotland

An Aberdeen community has been thanked by police for their support amid an investigation into the death of a woman last week.

Jill Barclay was found near an address on Stoneywood Road in the Dyce area of the city at around 3.30am on Saturday, September 17.

Her family said in a statement that the 47-year-old was a “deeply loved life partner, mother and daughter.”

The area was completely cordoned off by officers upon the discovery and has since been reopened, however a police presence continues to loom.

A fundraiser for her family launched two days ago has already raised more than £15,000 of its £16,000 goal.

Upon reaching the target, a party will be held in Ms Barclay’s honour to help the community ‘rave it like you’re Jill’.

Police Scotland’s Major Investigation Team is continuing its probe into the mum-of-two’s death, and the force’s north east divisional commander has thanked locals for their “patience and support”.

“This has been an extremely distressing incident which has caused a great deal of shock in the local community,” said chief superintendent Kate Stephen.

“This shock has also been felt across the north east and our thoughts are with Jill’s family and friends at this very difficult time.”

The community has also been advised to avoid speculating on the investigation and sharing incorrect information, as this could be distressing for those involved.

Ch Supt Stephen continued: “Officers will be in the area over the coming days carrying out enquiries and providing reassurance. Please approach them if you would like to speak to someone.

“I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the community for your patience – your support is appreciated.”

A police incident pod has been set up near the roundabout at Stoneywood Road and Victoria Street, and anyone with information or concerns can visit local officers stationed there for support.

A 22-year-old man appeared at court in connection with her death on Tuesday, where he entered no plea and was remanded in custody.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code