A fundraiser has been launched to support the family of a man who died days after a street attack in Aberdeen.
Steven Johnson died at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary on Tuesday, after being assaulted on Sunday evening at around 11.50pm on Carmelite Lane.
The 50-year-old is survived by his wife, five sons and two daughters, who revealed in a statement their “lives will never be the same again”.
Mr Johnson’s family thanked the public for their well wishes, and asked for privacy as they “try to come to terms with this nightmare”.
On Friday, a fundraiser was published in order to help support Mr Johnson’s family and help give the grandad “a send off he deserves”.
The GoFundMe page, set up by Rory Conway, said: “I wanted to set up this page to help ensure Steven gets the best send off he deserves and to help support his seven children and four young grandchildren, who have all been affected by this huge, heart-breaking loss.”
It stated that Mr Johnson had been out for a few drinks to celebrate his upcoming birthday the night before the assault occurred.
“They [the family] will always cherish the memories they have made but that is just not enough,” it added.
A 45-year-old man was arrested and charged in connection with the incident, with police saying that further enquiries are ongoing.
Detective Inspector Jamie Sherlock said: “Our investigation has established there were a number of people in the area at the time of the incident and I continue to urge anyone who has any information, but hasn’t yet spoken to police, to please call us on 101, quoting incident number 3471 of March 12, 2023.
“Alternatively, please call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, where information can be given anonymously.”