Dundee Uni reopens voluntary redundancies in bid to cut further 180 roles

The troubled university has received £62m of public money in recent years

Dundee University is set to open another round of voluntary redundancies in a bid to cut a further 180 full-time roles.

The higher education institution has faced financial difficulties in recent years, following the revelation of a £35m financial black hole in 2024.

It has since received £62m of public money, while almost 300 members of staff have taken voluntary redundancy.

Union members have staged 26 walkouts in response in just 15 months, as the threat of compulsory redundancies hung over staff. The latest strike action, undertaken by University and College Union (UCU) members, was held in January.

On Thursday, it was revealed in a staff email from interim principal Professor Nigel Seaton that the university has opened a second voluntary redundancy scheme in a bid to save in excess of £10m.

The scheme will open on Wednesday and run through to March 13, with terms, conditions and criteria remaining the same as the 2025 redundancy round.

In the email, prof Seaton said: “We remain some way from achieving a sustainable position, where we can cover the cost of running the University and invest in our future.

“Even with additional support from the Scottish Funding Council (expected but not yet in place) we have to make further savings.”

A spokesperson for Dundee’s UCU branch voiced their disappointment over the handling of the latest round of voluntary redundancies, claiming concerns over staff and student wellbeing had not been taken into consideration.

It added union representatives were informed of the scheme’s opening date under a confidentiality clause, meaning members could not be consulted.

The spokesperson said: “DUCU representatives were informed on February 11 of the opening date of a VS scheme under a confidentiality clause, which did not allow us to consult with members. We had no direct input into the process, nor could negotiate its terms, as the scheme was presented to us after it had already been approved by Court.

“DUCU believes that the timing of exits proposed in the current VS scheme will cause massive disruption at a very sensitive time in the academic calendar, when exams, marking, and processing of grades are taking place. This disruption could have life-changing consequences for both students and staff, as well as causing irreparable damage to the reputation of the University.

“Considering that the University of Dundee will be in receipt of an additional £20m of SFC funding this financial year, DUCU has seen no evidence of an immediate threat to the financial stability of the Institution that would justify putting staff and students through such an upheaval at this point of the academic cycle. Furthermore, running a VS scheme during a major restructuring of the University will inevitably compound the chaos.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Last updated Feb 19th, 2026 at 18:25

Today's Top Stories

Popular Videos

Latest in North East & Tayside

Trending Now