A man has been handed an 11-year ban on owning animals after seven dogs were found in “filthy makeshift kennels” on a plot of land in Kelty.
All the animals were found by police in conditions “heavily soiled with faeces” while underweight with “coats thick with muck and filth”.
One of the dogs, a lurcher named Gus, has now had his tail amputated as a result of the mistreatment.
Jay John William Kenny, 29, pled guilty to causing unnecessary suffering to all the seven dogs at Dunfermline Sheriff Court on June 15.
He was later sentenced on August 9 and handed the 11-year ban as well as a 150-hour community payback order.
The charges included failing to provide a suitable environment for the dogs as well as failing to seek vet treatment for one the dogs named Gus.
Kenny, of no fixed abode, was already known to animal welfare officers with the Scottish SPCA who say they have had multiple dealings with him since 2018.
The officers received a call from Police Scotland on December 19 after they had attended the plot of land belonging to Kenny on another matter.
During the visit police had become increasingly concerned for the safety and condition of the dogs.
The SSPCA attended the premises on December 20 and described the conditions as “deplorable”.
Inspector Stephanie Ross said: “The ground was boggy and littered with hazardous material. One dog had taken refuge on top of their wooden kennel and almost resembled a dog stranded on an island.
“All of the areas the dogs were being kept in were heavily soiled with faeces and stank of ammonia. What little straw they had for bedding was foul and sodden with urine. Six of the seven dogs were underweight and many had visible wounds. Most did not even have access to clean drinking water.”
Two German shepherds were found with coats thick with muck and filth and one was also attached to a three metre chain.
Ms Ross continued: “The ground surrounding the dog’s kennel was worn away in a circular shape, suggesting the dog had been here for some time and going round and round in circles. There was also hazardous material like scrap metal and loose nails lying around which could have caused significant damage to the dog.
“A tan and white lurcher named Gus was in particularly poor condition.
“We had concerns for all of the animals’ welfare and immediately removed them from the premises. Gus was taken for veterinary treatment and the others were transported to one of our animal rescue and rehoming centres.”
Gus was taken for a veterinary examination and found to be emaciated and had such a leavy flea burden that they could be seen crawling in his fur.
He also had alopecia, a bacterial skin infection and several wounds.
There was also a wound to the tip of his tail where skin had become thickened and leathery.
Ms Ross said: “The wounds were likely self-inflicted due to how uncomfortable and itchy the fleas were making him.
“The vet estimated it would have taken a minimum of three to five months for him to develop alopecia and for his tail tip to become hardened.
“Gus also had several fractured teeth, with receding and infected gums which would have been incredibly painful. The vet estimated this would have progressed over six to 12 months.”
In response to the court order, Ms Ross said: “Kenny was already known to the SSPCA. We’d had numerous dealings with him since 2018 due to reports of dogs being kept in poor conditions and his known associations with various individuals who we had previously prosecuted for animal fighting.”
She added: “We are glad that Kenny has received a ban.
“The lack of basic care and disregard for animal welfare in this case was disgusting. On the day the dogs were seized the temperatures had dropped below freezing. Gus was so severely underweight he would have struggled to maintain any kind of body heat in those conditions.
“All of the dogs recovered well in our care and gained weight. Sadly, Gus had to have his tail amputated due to the severity of the untreated wound at the tip.
“If anyone is concerned about an animal, they can contact our confidential animal helpline on 03000 999 999.”