The principal contractor in the Aberdeen Harbour expansion will withdraw from the project, it has been confirmed.
Dragados UK’s involvement in the South Harbour development will stop on June 15, with the company citing the coronavirus pandemic and “other factors” as the reasons.
It means Aberdeen Harbour Board will take full responsibility for the site.
The port authority revealed the procurement process for the remaining 30% of the project is under way.
Chief executive Michelle Handforth said: “This year’s summer season was of critical importance to the Aberdeen Harbour expansion project, as we endeavoured to complete a series of major construction milestones and continued to address the rock removal challenges first identified in October last year.
“The interruption to the schedule as a result of the Covid-19 emergency has had the effect of greatly compounding those existing challenges.
“It is too early at this stage to confirm what impact this will have on the construction timeline, especially given current Covid-19 restrictions, but the intention for a phased opening, when safe to do so, remains unaffected.”
A spokesperson for Dragados UK said the company “is proud of the progress achieved with this project but the Covid-19 emergency and other factors have meant that our involvement in the project has ended earlier than originally anticipated.”
A statement added: “We wish the project every success as it progresses towards completion.”
In line Scottish Government Guidance activities on site are currently restricted to essential site protection works, as well as safety and security measures.
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country