Children removed from school after 'faulty light' sparks evacuation

Harlaw Academy was evacuated at around 10.30am on Wednesday.

Children and staff removed from school after ‘faulty light’ sparks evacuation in Aberdeen © Google Maps 2024

A school was forced to fully evacuate in Aberdeen due to a “faulty light”.

Children and staff were removed from Harlaw Academy at around 10.30am on Wednesday after a strong smell of smoke and electrical burning was noticed.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service sent two engines to the scene and established that the scent was coming from a faulty light fitting.

The building was declared safe and children returned to their classes after 25 minutes.

Aberdeen City Council said: “The school has returned to normal following a fire services at Harlaw Academy this morning.

“A strong smell of smoke/electrical burning was notice and following a 999 call, the head teacher was advised to evacuate the building until it was declared safe.

“The Fire Service arrived and spent 20 minutes on site during which they identified a faulty light fitting. There was no fire and the light was isolated and the building declared safe.

“The building was evacuated for 25 mins and pupils were given a late break to access the toilets and canteen. Only period three was compromised by around 30 minutes.

“Parents have been advised.”

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “We were alerted at 10.30am on Wednesday, September 6, to reports of a smell of smoke within a school in Aberdeen.

“Operations Control mobilised two appliances to the city’s Albyn Place, where firefighters examined the area and established no sign of smoke or fire.

“Crews left the scene after ensuring the area was safe.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in