Calls for ban on snares after missing cat found 'cut in two'

Harry's owner has joined a campaign to call for snares to be banned in Scotland.

Calls for ban on snares after pet cat found with horrific injuries in St Cyrus, Aberdeenshire Cats Protection

WARNING: Graphic image

An Aberdeenshire cat owner believed her pet had been “cut in two” after he was found with horrific injuries after being trapped in a snare for five days.

Marion Brownlie’s pet, Harry, was found collapsed in a field close to his home in St Cyrus after he had been missing for five days.

He had been able to drag himself to safety, but it is thought that the ginger-and-white cat may have been trapped in the snare during the time he had been missing.

Having confirmed his injuries were caused by a snare, vets carried out surgery to repair a deep wound running from hip to hip across Harry’s abdomen. 

He was later able to return home but needed to be confined to a cage for rest during his recovery.

Marion said: “Harry had been missing for five days when my daughter spotted him – she could see he was in a bad way and I rushed over. 

“We found him collapsed in a field and it was like something from a nightmare – I was afraid to pick him up as it looked as though he’d been cut in two.”

While Harry was still alive when he was taken to the vet, Marion was told that his chances of survival were 50/50.

Marion believed that Harry had been 'cut in two' after he became trapped in a snare.Cats Protection

Marion added: “The vet could tell that Harry must have been trapped for some time, and he must have been in agony.

“There is no way he could have gotten out of the snare on his own, so we can only assume that whoever laid the snare had released him, but we’ll never know. It’s too horrific to think of him trapped like that – he’s a family pet, adored by all of us including my young grandchildren.

“I can’t quite believe he managed to survive the injuries – it was the most horrific thing I’ve ever seen. But so far he is doing well, and we’re just keeping everything crossed that he continues to recover.”

She has now joined a campaign, led by animal charity Cats Protection, which is calling for snares to be banned in Scotland.

Snares are soon to be banned in Wales under the Agriculture (Wales) Bill which is awaiting its final stage.

“I was absolutely staggered to find out that these snares are legal. Anyone who saw the state Harry was in would agree that snares are completely inhumane – no animal should be left to suffer such agony for so long. I can’t see how snares can be justified at all – it’s plain cruelty and must be banned,” she added.

After finding Harry injured, Marion had first contacted Dr Elspeth Stirling, a volunteer from Cats Protection’s Arbroath and District Branch, for advice.

Dr Stirling said: “I’ve been a volunteer for Cats Protection for over 25 years and this is the worst case of needless suffering I’ve come across. What makes this even more distressing is that snares are still legal but Harry’s case clearly shows how incredibly cruel and inhumane they are.”

Cats Protection’s advocacy and government relations officer for Scotland, Alice Palombo said: “Cats Protection is campaigning for an outright ban on snares like the one which Harry was caught in. As Harry’s story shows, snares are cruel, inhumane and cause considerable pain and suffering to any animal they capture.

“It’s hard to describe Harry as lucky, as he must have suffered unimaginable pain, but thankfully he did survive and get home. Many animals caught in snares – whether they’re wildlife or pet cats – will instead suffer a long, lonely and painful death.

“Snares and similar devices have no place in a modern society and we will continue to campaign for them to be banned.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code